Just ordered my chicks! :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cluckin nutty, Oct 1, 2013.

1. cluckin nutty

cluckin nutty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2013
    Just ordered 21 chicks from Murray McMurray hatchery. I ordered:
    5 White Leghorn Pullets
    5 Easter Egger Pullets
    5 Light Brahma Pullets
    5 Buttercup Pullets
    1 Free Rare Exotic Chick

I cannot wait to get them! :) I had them all vaccinated for coccidiosis, and marek's. SOOO excited! :)

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Sounds like a good mix. Good luck with your babies.

3. cluckin nutty

May 25, 2013
    thank you! when I had chickens before I LOVED my white leghorn, and decided I will ALWAYS have atleast one in my flock.

4. striperon

striperon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Kennebunkport, ME
    What was your thinking when you ordered an assortment of breeds? No criticism, just puzzled. I see the mixing of breeds often on this site and I am such a novice that I don't know why.

5. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts

can't speak for the original poster but many people like to have a colorful flock. And sometimes its also to create a colorful selection of eggs.

6. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    X2

I love a variety of chicken different feather colors, sizes ,some with eathered legs some not, some with head crests some without. And the different shades of colors you can get are amazing. I love a mixed flock.

7. striperon

striperon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Kennebunkport, ME
    I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Thanks for your replies. I grew up on a dairy farm. In the '50's there were some mixed breed herds in my town, where there were more cows than people. But by the '60's all herds were a single breed, for many good reasons. It seems different to me to have, perhaps, 3 or 4 breeds of hens and a rooster of one breed or a completely different breed. Makes replicating successful breeding problematic.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  8. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    I, for one, don't breed. I can't have a rooster. So that takes the issue of ending up with lots of mixed breed chickens. [​IMG]

9. cluckin nutty

May 25, 2013
    I don't plan on breeding them, if I did I would have chosen more desirable breeds for my area. I chose these breeds based on feather patterns, past experiences with some of these breeds, and potential egg color. If I happen to get a rooster he will be there to protect my flock (even though I already have a completely enclosed 10x16 predator proof run). I actually had a rooster a while back who was sweeter than any of my hens and I really enjoyed having him. Also, I'm a single mom and I know that my children will enjoy the different colors of eggs and feather patterns more so than I, as well as my elderly disabled mother, and roommate who moved to "the middle of nowhere" from living in a ghetto where having chickens and eating a real egg is **** near un heard of, let alone different colored chickens and eggs.

1 person likes this.
  10. cluckin nutty

May 25, 2013
    I really tried to think about my whole family and group of friends when choosing the breeds that I did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by