Just ordered my first chickens!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chick Lover 1, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Chick Lover 1

Chick Lover 1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2010
    Well I have been reading BYC for about a month and I have a coop built and painted and have a brooder ready with a light and thermometer and so I was ready to order baby chicks. I researched good reliable Chick Hatcheries and I decided on Ideal Poultry. I ordered 1 White Leghorn, 1 Production Red, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Rhode Island White and I can't wait for the girls to come! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  2. herechickychicky

herechickychicky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2010
    Marion
    [​IMG] That's great! I ordered my first chicks from My Pet Chicken. They won't be here until late May. (is it spring, yet???)

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    [​IMG]
    And so it has begun,your journey to the fuzzy side.

4. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Congratulations! I got my first ones (three pullets and one Roo all 2 months old) last June and havn't regretted it. I've got 12 more coming from my pet chicken in April!

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    So exciting! When are you expecting them to arrive?

And how did you manage to get Ideal to send you such a small order?!

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Woohoo!! Congrats!!! [​IMG]

When is the arrival date?

7. Chick Lover 1

Chick Lover 1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2010
    I have a question on when they should be here for Ideal Poultry all of the chicks had February 2nd that they are all available but then when you order it said when do you want them so I entered that day's date so will they be shipped from Ideal the 2nd or arrive the second or what?

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Good question! I think that's your "earliest" date so they'd ship on or after that date (depending on when they have them available). I'd have the brooder ready on 2/2 JIC.

9. paceysgl5

paceysgl5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Taunton,MA
    Why don't you call Ideal to see? I've found their online "availability" to not be very accurate for our Feb 9th hatch date.

10. ganesha09

ganesha09 Loves chicken feet!

Sep 18, 2010
    southern Illinois
    WooHoo! Aren't you excited?? I like your flock selection- and you are so well prepared! Good for you! I am a newbie chickie mom- my due date is May 23- and we are in the middle of our preparations. You are a good example for me to follow! :eek:) I am sooooooo excited! I have already been affected by chicken math- and I've only just begun! Best of luck with your chickies! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by