Just ordered Silver Spangled Hambergs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ayschmidt, Feb 21, 2014.

1. ayschmidt

ayschmidt Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    My son just ordered some Silver Spangled Hambergs for his county fair this year. I was wondering are these considered a Bantam breed? Any information that anyone has about this breed would be greatly appreciated by a young man in his first year of 4-H.

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    I believe there is a standard and bantam variety; the standard being small for a standard bird.

Is he doing showmanship? I wouldn't be too worried about having a light standard bird (especially a hen, because in my experience the roo's cluck the whole time) instead of a bantam, if thats what you bought.

Bantams are great, and my whole 4h club used them; but I think a lot of people didn't know you could use a standard bird for showmanship. I remember getting a few blank stares when I told people the bird I was using - "what your using a big one? Won't your arms get tired?" I guess my arms didn't, because I got 1st in a class of ten people with my big red hen.

I'm saying whether your Hamburgs are bantam or standard, you should be fine. Unless your son is young and can't hold a standard due to the hold your required to do because his hands won't be big enough; then a bantam might be in order, but as long as his hands are big enough to hold the standard; weight shouldn't be a problem b/c Hamburgs are pretty light.

3. ayschmidt

Feb 20, 2014
    Thanks I ordered the standard sized but the info I have seen on them is that they are a bantam breed? I know that the standard size for a female is only about 4 lbs. I was just wondering because our show is broken into 2 sections one for standard size and bantam size. I was just confused what the heck they were :)

4. ayschmidt

Feb 20, 2014
    I had the same question about Polish chickens too... Any ideas on that one??? :)

5. Desiree Brown

Desiree Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Schoharie NY
    Polish and SSH. Are smaller sized large breeds. I have both and they are standard size. There are other breeds like that too. They are smaller than my bigger breeds. But they aren't bantams. You can also get them as bantams too. So you may have bantys. I have the standard size and they are smaller than my other standard size chickens.

6. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Glad I could help!

7. ayschmidt

Feb 20, 2014
    Ok thank you that helps greatly!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by