Just out of curiosity...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MotherOfChickens, May 22, 2019.

1. MotherOfChickens

MotherOfChickens Songster

Jun 29, 2017
    Middle Tennessee
    I have 1 hen who CONSTANTLY is going broody... I've no desire, at the moment, to let her hatch a clutch... but after watching her behavior I am curious about something and wondering what you all do in a situation like this...

I have 2 nest boxes. And she swaps the nests. One min she is sitting on eggs in one box, the next she is sitting on eggs in a different box. Like in the morning when I open the coop she is in one box and by evening she is in the other box.

So for those of you who have a broody hen, how do you keep her on the eggs she needs to be incubating? Do you separate her and those specific eggs?

T.I.A. :hugs

2. Brahmachicken240

Brahmachicken240 Crossing the Road

Dec 26, 2018
    Ireland
    I have wire on top of the entrances of the nesting boxes that I roll down to keep the broody hen in and other hens out.

BullChick and MotherOfChickens like this.
  3. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Free Ranging

Aug 14, 2017
    Southeast Alabama
    Give her a seperate nest with eggs in a brooder, one that she can't get back to the other nests.

MotherOfChickens likes this.
  4. MotherOfChickens

Jun 29, 2017
    Middle Tennessee
    I'd love to see a picture!

Brahmachicken240 likes this.
  5. MotherOfChickens

Jun 29, 2017
    Middle Tennessee
    So you pull your broody hen out of a nest box (with eggs) and place her in a separate area? Does that ever interfere with her desire to hatch a clutch?

6. Col1948

Col1948 Songster

Sep 9, 2018
    Manchester UK
    Get a dog crate and put her in there with food and water, no nest and add a roost bar, leave he in there for 3 days or so and then let her out, if she goes straight in the nest put her back in the crate.
    I broke one like this not long ago but now I have another broody, in the crate she goes, seems a bit cruel but it should cure her.

MotherOfChickens likes this.
  7. MotherOfChickens

Jun 29, 2017
    Middle Tennessee
    That is what I do to break her.... I was just curious as to what people who have a broody hen that wont stay in one nest box do to keep that hen on the eggs to be incubated.

Brahmachicken240 likes this.
  8. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Free Ranging

Aug 14, 2017
    Southeast Alabama
    Do you have a dog carrier that you can put make a nest in, and put in the pen?

9. Col1948

Col1948 Songster

Sep 9, 2018
    Manchester UK
    Ah sorry I misunderstood, do you have eggs to be incubated in both nests is that what you mean?
    If so how many eggs, can you not put both lots together or is there too many?

10. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Free Ranging

Aug 14, 2017
    Southeast Alabama
    I've had a few that try to get back to the old nests, but if you move her about sunset, they usually settle in on the eggs and are happy to stay in the new nest by morning.

BullChick likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: