1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just paid $5.99 for a jar of mayonaisse!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by chickenannie, Aug 24, 2008.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Food prices are now out of this world. My grocery bill was huge tonight. I can't believe how expensive a regular-size jar of Hellman's Mayo is! This is the inflation and high oil prices hitting us I guess.
    I might as well mix my own mayo out of olive oil and eggs. Anyone have a good recipe?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

3. tabsmonsters

tabsmonsters Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    I know what you mean! DH doesn't understand why I spent so much on groceries this summer and it looked like we hardly had any food. I told him it was the high prices and the kids being home from school ( 2 growing boys!). We shop at the commissary so things aren't quite as expensive as Wal-Mart and the like but the prices there are going up like everywhere else. I can't imagine how those on fixed incomes are getting by.

4. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    Best Foods quart jar is $3.58 at Wal Mart here this morning. It's truly amazing how much prices have gone up over the last few years.

For example, since we first bought our place 3 years ago, wild bird feed has gone up $3/bag.

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    OMGosh, I just bought a jar of Hellman's for $4 something 2 weeks ago and we're out... I don't really want to pay $6 for some more. UGH!

6. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Silkie,
    Thanks for the recipe link -- if those are the ingredients, which are all cheap items, how the heck can they justify raising the price so high? I'm definitely making my own mayo next time.

I wouldna bought the mayo but as often happens, the price is obscured and I only saw it on the receipt afterwards.
    I need it for my addiction to BLT sandwiches since tomato season is in full swing!

7. palabeco

palabeco Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    Try buying the store brand or shopping at those discount grocery like ALDI or Save a Lot. I don't know if they are nationwide but I'm sure you have something similar. You have to bring your own bags, or use their boxes and pack your groceries yourself. Some items just don't stack up to the brand name, but I have found a lot that are just as good if not better. I have saved over 90 dollars on my grocery bill since trying it.

8. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    good said yeah dont but the fancy name brands half the time you just pay for the name..
    Save a Lot is a great place to shop thats where we shop and you save alot of money,,

http://www.save-a-lot.com/display.do

9. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Acme has Kraft Mayo on sale 2/$5 this week.

10. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    You better stock up prices are only going to get worst this winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by