Just performed surgery on fused toes, hope it is alright!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Germaine_11.20, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    One of my BC Marans chicks has 2 fused toes on each foot. After reading a few posts on here with similar problems I decided it would live a better life if I sliced the web holding it together.
    I have toe punched before and I don't see much difference, just longer rather than round. I put on neosporin and taped it. The reason was to prevent litter material from getting in the wound and to help straighten the toes.
    I won't be able to breed it, but it looked pitiful hobbling around on those feet.
    I hope it works more than hurts. I guess I will know in about a week.

2. hrdwrkgrl

hrdwrkgrl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2008
    Wow.. I am totally impressed. Best of luck.

3. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Well, thanks! Actually it was very simple. I just wish I had a helper when I did it. It was wiggling pretty bad! Checked the morning and it is doing well. Hobbling but I have them taped.

At least one is taped. I don't know how they manage to get them off but it did get one off. It looks great but does have dried blood. I will re-wrap again as a toe is bent some. Just waiting to finish waking up.

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    may I ask when you got the chick and from where? I got several from an order from a well known place last year and told them about it. Others had the same problem as you know. I sold all of mine and was updated by the owners. All went to different homes as pets never to be bred, no roos even in flock. Some had vets fix their feet others did not. I think all but one has died at some point during the first 6 months of life. I sold them at about 4-8 weeks of age and all were seemingly healthy at the time. The other chicks bought with them all are fine so I am left believing there is ore genetically wrong with these chicks than is apparent on the outside.

I hope the place I got mine from is not selling them still. They claimed not to have noticed when they shipped mine but I don't believe it as too many had the fused toes and some had no toes at all just a fused stump. How could someone not notice that 25 % of the chicks they were shipping were deformed??? I see people talk very high things from this seller but I was not impressed at all and will never buy birds from them again.

Just wanted to give you the heads up.

5. 5LexingtonHens

5LexingtonHens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Lexington, MA
    I know that this is an old thread, but I wanted to share a similar experience. Last week I received 2 EE's and 2 light brama chicks from Meyer Hatchery. One of the light bramas has fused toes. She is my favorite chicken, very sweet and calm personality. Does seem to have some trouble gripping the roost, but otherwise, happy and healthy. Tried earlier today to snip the toes apart, but it started bleeding, so I will bring her to the vet to finish up the job so that she can roost and scratch properly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by