Just picked this guy up tonight, any idea on Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LouNeo, Jun 9, 2016.

1. LouNeo

LouNeo Just Hatched

Jun 9, 2016
    Wilmington NC
    I got home late this evening with this rooster, please excuse his accommodations. I need to setup a small coop for him tomorrow, tonight he is in the penthouse suite. The person I bought him from breeds a few different breeds. She had him in with her Ayem Cemani and said that he too was a Ayem Cemani but she was replacing him with an all black rooster. She said that some of his offspring are all black. I think she said something about black eggs but im not sure. Im not entirely expecting him to be a Ayem Cemani but he was beautiful and Im a sucker for a pretty chicken so I grabbed him. But any thoughts as to what he may be? I will get some better photos of him tomorrow, hopefully in the sunlight. Mouth looks black inside, I think his cone looks a little closer to a maroonish black. The photo doesnt really do him justice, will post more tomorrow.

Thanks all!

[​IMG]

-Lou

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome!

If he's ayam cemani he's got a ton of color leakage. Honestly my bet is at best he's an AC mix. He's got a ton of color and the totally wrong comb type to be AC. I also really hope the breeder that had him wasn't selling any of his chicks or eggs fertilized by him as pure. At any rate he's pretty :)

They also do not lay black eggs, they lay cream or tan. Jeez, I'm getting mad at this seller and she didn't even try to scam me! Because that's what she's doing, scamming people, if she doesn't even know what color egg the breed she says she has lays (this is not directed at you, by the way, just me being really irked at this 'breeder' as someone who does breed purebred ACs).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  3. LouNeo

LouNeo Just Hatched

Jun 9, 2016
    Wilmington NC
    I appreciate your thoughts on this. I will get some better photos tomorrow. She showed me her hens which were all black and she showed me her replacement rooster which is also all black and looks very much like the AC's ive seen photos of. For whats its worth she sold this guy to me for $25 so its not like she was trying to pass him off as a pure AC. I have not bred chickens before and I dont really have much in regards to expectations but I think it would be fun to try and breed some just to see what the mixes turn out as. Is that irresponsible breeding? For example breeding this guy with a Silver laced cochin or a blue cochin just to see what the mixes look like? I assume they would breed anyhow but then again I know nothing at this point.

I will talk to her again tomorrow and play dumb, asking again what she thought he was breed wise and why. I do need to find some eggs to incubate or a couple ACs to have sometime just because of how beautiful they are!

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    If you want to cross him that's totally fine as long as you're not trying to sell the offspring as purebred :) I've got a couple AC crosses running around here myself, and your guy actually looks a little bit like one of my cross cockerels:

[​IMG]

It's possible she herself was scammed and really doesn't know any better, but this is what a purebred AC cock looks like:

[​IMG]

Note that they have single combs where your guy looks to have some sort of pea or rose comb. They also can have leakage if they're pure, but in my experience it's mostly silver in color and I've never seen one with as much 'leakage' as yours.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  5. LouNeo

LouNeo Just Hatched

Jun 9, 2016
    Wilmington NC
    Thank you again for the information. I cant wait to grab some better photos of him tomorrow. I wouldnt ever sell them as pure bred, for me I just want to see what the crosses turn out looking like. Of course I will need to figure out the breeding piece (although I assume he figures out most of that for me) then I need to grab a small incubator and wait a month (im not very patient).

Thank you for the information. I searched a lot of photos in google images but did not find anything quite like him.

6. LouNeo

LouNeo Just Hatched

Jun 9, 2016
    Wilmington NC
    Here are some more photos of him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    He is gorgeous! My vote is definitely on AC mix. Whatever he's mixed with appears to have a pea comb.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would call him Joseph(for "Joseph's coat") He certainly is a colorful dude.

9. MonicainAZ

MonicainAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    He almost reminds me of an Ayam Cemani/Easter Egger with that coloring and the thick neck. What a stunning boy! Joseph would be a perfect name.

10. LouNeo

LouNeo Just Hatched

Jun 9, 2016
    Wilmington NC
    Thanks everyone. i asked again and she said that he is Pure bred with leakage that he was hatched from her original rooster and hen that she got from a friend that got them from Greenfire Farm. Her original rooster got killed by a predator, he is one of the offspring. Shes culling him and replacing him with another full black rooster with no leakage from the same original rooster. Who knows, I will still enjoy him just the same :) I dont have an AC hen so I guess it really doesnt matter to me. I was jut trying to figure it out so I knew what I had.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by