1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just picked up 2 new hens...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tharrell, Apr 20, 2009.

1. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I was told they are both about a year old or so. There is a buff orp and a white cochin. I have a couple questions about them. First, when do you think they will adjust and start laying for me? Second, they have quite a bit of feathers plucked from their backs, will this grow back? And last, they were in with a rooster, if they were being bred how long will the eggs stay fertile? I would really like to try to incubate some if they start laying for me. Thanks so much for your help!!!

2. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I had a hen where her feathers had been wore/plucked off because she was the roosters favorite. The feathers did grow back. And I had heard or read somewhere that the hens may be fertile for up to three weeks. Better off to have someone else weigh in on the fertility issue also -- still kinda new to chickens.

3. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Sorry, forgot to answer your first question. It all depends on how comfy the hens feel in their new surroundings. I have had some take no break at all or up to two weeks until they started laying for me. So good luck and best wishes!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have read here several times that 3 weeks on the fertility is a good working number. Here's hoping they start laying well before that!

5. tharrell

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Any other thoughts?

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Two weeks, three at the outside, for the continued fertility. There have been some very rare cases of fertility after 4 weeks, but as I said, very rare.

7. tharrell

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Ok, I checked on them at about 4 this afternoon. I came home around 8 and there was already an egg! I can hardly believe this. Hopefully this wasn't a fluke, and they will continue to lay. YAY!!!

8. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    congrads on the egg, and the new hens. I agree with everyone else on the 3 weeks.

9. Jennie5193

Jennie5193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    I have some eggs in the bator that are due to hatch out in a week that were from a hen very much like you have. I collected all of the eggs for the 1st 10 days and then put them in the incubator. They are developing very nicely

Some of them were not fertile, but I kept getting fertile ones more than 3 weeks later.

Good luck!

All of my "new" hens have started laying regularly within two days. I even had one hen lay an egg 12 hours after we brought her home! [​IMG]

10. Puma

Puma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Riverside
    I just asked the same question this week. I picked up two 8 month old Leghorns on Sunday. When I checked Monday morning nothing. But........by the afternoon I had two beautiful eggs. Got two more today..............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by