Just picked up a trio of Purple Peafowl

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by xlboergoats, Jun 18, 2011.

1. xlboergoats

xlboergoats Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    Arp, Texas
    Well, I have the three little Spaulding peachicks in the brooder and now I have a trio of grown peafowl at the barn. A friend of mine emailed me an listing from a paper down the road. There was a man who was selling his peafowl. I spoke for a trio of Purple peafowl last week. Built them a new home yesterday, and picked them up this morning. I bought the trio for the birds alone, but one of the hens was setting on ten eggs. I brought them home and set them under chicken hens that I had setting here.

Everyone made the trip home fine. The birds are really friendly and seem to like their new home. I hope that some of the eggs hatch. We are pretty sure that the one hen started setting and the other hen added to her nest. I candled the eggs when I got home and they are definately at two different stages of development. We have no idea when they are due to hatch. I will just make it a point to check them three or four times a day and take the peachicks as they hatch. I will update if we get any peachicks from this deal.

Not that they know it, but their names are Mista, Miss Ceilie, and Sug Avery. All of the names are main character names from The Color Purple. Who would have thought it???

Ernie

2. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    Congrats!! Pics??? [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. SunBaked

SunBaked Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Southwest
    Gratz on your new peas!

4. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Ernie, wheres the pics?

5. xlboergoats

xlboergoats Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    Arp, Texas
    [​IMG]:jumpy

The eggs that were under the Purple hen that I brought home on Saturday have started trying to hatch. When I brought the eggs home, I placed them under chicken hens. We did not know when they were due to hatch, but after candling them I could see that they were very developed. This morning when I checked the eggs, I could hear pecking and chirps inside the eggs.

The adult trio of Purples that I brought home on Saturday are doing fine. Mista finally strutted yesterday for the first time since we brought him to his new house.

I will update later when I check them this evening.

Ernie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by