Just picked up my Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kreagerm, Apr 12, 2012.

1. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    This is my first time trying to raise chicks. I've read tons (this forum is amazing) and my good friend raises them, so I figured I'd give it a try too. I have 12 Araucana's and 2 Silver Laced (my wife really likes this breed). They all seem very healthy and are eating, drinking, pooping jumping around like little jumping beans and chirping up a storm. I'm reasing them in the house until they are of age to move them to the garage, felt like the garage temps would fluctuate to much this time of year, and I definetly don't want to cook them if it were to get in the 80's outside. Wish me luck and I'll see if I can't get some pics of these little cuties.

ps, feel free to pass on any tips

2. kreagerm

Feb 11, 2012
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  3. kreagerm

Feb 11, 2012
    [​IMG]

4. kreagerm

Feb 11, 2012
    [​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    They are beautiful! [​IMG] Congratulations new chicken dad!
    Just keep them warm and dry and clean the brooder regularly. Check fluffy butts daily for poop stuck in the bum fluff, it can block up the chick completely and it can kill them. But don't stress, I've raised many many chicks and I've only had about 4 cases. They must be kept warm for the first 2 weeks, after that they'll be o.k. with cooler temps.
    What you could also maybe do for them is hang a feather duster in the brooder so they can crawl under it. My chicks loved it. And provide some sand bath when they're a little bit older. Chicks and older chickens love dust bathing.
    Enjoy your babies!

6. kreagerm

Feb 11, 2012
    Great Advice, Thank You. I really appreciate it. They are fun to watch, even my Golden Retreiver likes laying next to the bin to watch them (but I know what he is thinking).

Matt

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You are welcome.
    Remember to handle the chicks lots of you want them to stay tame. Instinct is quite strong and instinct tells them we're a threat! Go ask any mother hen!
    And be warned: chicks are addictive and there's no cure...

8. kreagerm

Feb 11, 2012
    You're so right about their instinct. If I want them to be people friendly I better go and start holding them more often. Thanks Again!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by