Just picked up some Gambels

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Jeremiah.Chua, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Jeremiah.Chua

Jeremiah.Chua Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    [​IMG]

Just picked up 15 Gambel Quails tonight! They were born on June 1st apparently, so that makes them to be about 5 weeks old. Colors have not fully set in yet but they've feathered up nicely and are able to live outside (NorCal) perfectly fine without the assistance of a heat source.
    They've been fed starter food up till now but I was wondering at what age should I ween them off starter food and start giving them gamebird food.

Or what else can I feed them? I did a quick search under the keyword "Gambel" on BYC but I found very little care info. Can anyone shed some light?

They are living indoors for now, I will be moving them out sometime this week or by the end of this month, the latest.

How much do they usually go for by the way?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. Quail's Hollar Farm

Quail's Hollar Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    I would feed them starter until they are twelve weeks of age, then, regular gamebird crumbles. I sell mine for ten dollars a pice, however I live in northern Florida. Your location, (being their natural range) may bring down the price a bit.

3. Jeremiah.Chua

May 31, 2010
    Thanks for the info.

One of the gambels flew out of the tank and is somewhere in my garage right now. I was catching them and putting them into a box in order to clean out the tank's bedding and all of a sudden, so many flew out of the box. I managed to get all but 1. Any tips on how to get it back? I left food out on the floor and water, hoping that would bait it out. But I was wondering if there are any other tricks out there. Like maybe gambels have certain behaviors that make it look for its companions or whatnot.

4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I have a few not quiet a week old the little rascals are almost flying at 5-6 days

5. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Where Did U Get Them !!! I"ve Been Looking For Gambels Or Valley Quails For Foreva !!!!!!!!!

6. Jeremiah.Chua

May 31, 2010
    I'm a voracious craigslist hunter. Found one on CL an hour it was posted and took all of them within minutes. A teacher was selling them because she hatched these out for her class. She bought them off McMurray. Out of 30 or so eggs, only 15 hatched and survived apparently.

That one quail that flew out still hasn't been found. I saw it last night but it got away and snuck into somewhere and I lost it again. I'm half-heartedly giving up on it. I haven't seen it at all today and it hasn't come out to eat the food I left out for it or water for that matter. 14/15 Gambels now. [​IMG]

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:from a breeder in NC mumster here on BYC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by