1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just placed my order

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wamtazlady, Jan 26, 2016.

1. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    Have just placed my order with Metzer's for 4 ducks and 3 geese. Am getting cayuga, buff, blue Swedish, and a golden 300, all girls. Also getting 3 African geese, 2 girls and a boy. I'm going to have so many questions in the next few months until they arrive. Reading so far has not answered some of my major concerns. Please be kind until I know what I'm doing.

Anyway, I am excited to be adding these birds I already have chickens. I had a duck once when my kids were little, but it was a pet house duck. Knew nothing about ducks then but did my best and she thrived. We were military and when we moved I found a farmer who had the same kind of duck to take her. My main experience with birds was raising canaries and finches 35 years ago. Not quite the same as what I'm getting into now.

2. DemonicFowl

DemonicFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass
    DUCKS RULE!!! and what would those concerns be? Also welcome to expanding your flock variety :D!

I can't see anyone one here being mean, misunderstood perhaps, a few squabbles lol yes but other than that we'll be here to help to the best of our abilities.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Welcome, @wamtazlady !

Feel free to share your concerns. I found a steep learning curve, but my life has been immensely improved by having the duck flock.

4. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. Boy friend was in hospital.

Concerns...let me start. I read about how much space a chicken needs in a coop all the time. I haven't seen anything on the space ducks and geese need. Can they even share the same space? I was planning on building a 4 x 8 shed for them, perhaps dividing off a section for the ducks to keep them separated at night. That is with 4 ducks and 3 geese. Do their nests go inside the coop or outside? Is one nest enough for 4 ducks and what does a duck nest look like? Again, I've seen goose nests online, not duck nests. I also read that at 3 weeks I will need to limit the amount of food I feed the ducks to about 1/3 a pound a day. I guess that would mean feeding them a little in the morning and the rest in the evening. However, do geese also need to be limited with their feed? If not, then they'll have to be separated at 3 weeks old for awhile.

I'm planning on keeping their food and water outside of their shed. Read that I should dig a hole under their water and use grates to keep them from making a muddy mess around the water. Would something like a tote with lid and holes cut in the sides make a good waterer? They could get their heads and beaks wet but the water would hopefully stay clean for the day. I use a tote with horizontal nipples for the chickens. A stock tank deicer kept their water thawed all winter in Montana. Also plan on a small safe run so that they don't have to be locked into the shed at night. Hardware cloth and electric fencing should help make the run safe. It's worked for the chickens.

I really need to get a book on ducks but the local Tractor Supply had none when I looked a couple weeks ago. Is there any book that is best for a newbie duck owner?

Thank you in advance for helping this newbie.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by