Just plywood okay for walls of coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ErinO, Feb 14, 2013.

1. ErinO

ErinO New Egg

Feb 14, 2013
    My husband and I are trying to figure out plans for our first coop, and I was wondering if just plywood is appropriate for the walls, or if we need something with more insulation. Any suggestions?

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Welcome to our forum!

You shouldn't need insulation unless you live really, really far north. Chickens have a lot more trouble with heat than cold. Plywood is great.

You might want to add a general location to your profile, so we have a better idea of your climate.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I am building a small coop right now using 11/32 exterior grade plywood. I am painting it just in case and because i wanted some color.

4. jdeoliveira74

jdeoliveira74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Plywood will need to be painted if you want it to last

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  5. ErinO

ErinO New Egg

Feb 14, 2013
    We are in Westchester County, NY, so not too far north. We are thinking of plywood walls covered with old decking that was donated to us for a little extra protection, and because it's better looking than the plywood. Thanks for the heads up about painting - we will definitely do that. More fun for us to plan! :)

6. jdeoliveira74

jdeoliveira74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    The decking won't need paint. You may want to think about insulating the floor at least to stop some drafts. My girls are spoiled. Its cool to use old wood too it gives it character.
    Good luck on your adventure

7. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Exterior Bead Board! The stuff is great and pre-painted. You can get this at Home Depot or Lowes. Put up your 2x4 studs for your wall and add your sheets via wood screws. Works well and you can also use it for your roofing. I have insulated my dog houses but not the much larger coops and goat houses. You can add a heat lamp if you want some added warmth for the Winter months.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You don't really need heat, ventilation is much more important.

I would suggest you do ALOT of reading here before you build, find the reccurance of methods that make sense to you after long study.

Pay especial attention to predotor protection and ventilation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by