Just posioned my gosling with Sulmet, HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenPox, Jun 28, 2011.

1. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    I lost 2 chicks in the brooder and noticed the bloody poop so started Sulmet immediately. Didn't lose anymore, but also noticed my poor little gosling being droopy today. He was on the Sulmet water with the rest of them for about 3 days. I didn't even think it would be harmful. I have him separated now, FRESH water, but his poops are nothing but liquid.....look like water. He doesn't appear to have lost any weight. I gave him a soak in the bathtub and he ate some soaked bread. I know nothing about geese. He's only about 3 weeks old. He was outside in the brooder (temps in the high 90s) but I've brought him back inside under the heat lamp and with a chick friend. I hope I didn't just kill him. Anyone have any experience? Am I going to lose him? I love him to bitsies, he imprinted on me when he hatched....I feel like the biggest idiot on the planet. [​IMG]

2. ChickenPox

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Anyone? [​IMG] He's acting ok. Not too terribly lethargic. But he has a hard time walking for long distances and is kinda pale in his beak and legs.

3. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Bump.....could the loose stools be from drinking a lot of water in the heat? My chickens tend to get liquid poo in the heat due to increased water intake. Don't know a thing about the medication though...Good luck.

4. mythkat

mythkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe some electrolites in the water, plenty of water, to flush his system and some yogurt to put the good bugs back in his digestive system. My geese love yogurt as much as the chickens and ducks. Could be lethargic because of the heat. It's been in the 90's here too and all the birds just lay around in the shade and doze. Good luck.

5. ChickenPox

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Just wanted to update!

Deuce the Goose is doing well! He's much better......maybe it was the heat..... But I'm glad that he's doing better!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by