Just pouring rain - buckets

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SteveBaz, Oct 30, 2011.

1. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    They last time it was raining this hard the girls were not even born yet. It rained a week or so ago and they were soaked. Now its pouring and they are standing at the door wanting out. How to dry these little guys? Hair dryer is to loud but my girls wont stand there and let me dry them off. Ideas please. Towels or what?

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Steve, I find that chickens are just plan dumb when it comes to rain. They will find a place they can stick their heads in, but their bodies will be getting wet. You could try to put a heat lamp with them for a little while, they will probably sit by it till they dry off. Last night was the only time I saw my girls run for shelter, when it started raining, it then started spitting a rain snow combo and away they went, wings flapping. Poor little D'Uccles weren't so lucky, their door to their run blew shut so they were just all gathered around the willow, as I came around the corner to make sure they went in.
    Michele

3. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Kids they just dont listen. I hope they put on the rain jacket instead of the down jacket . LOL [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Mine stood in pouring rain Thursday, soaked, really funny looking. I have seen them out in drizzle, but they didn't seem to know any better. But they went back in and were fine that evening. They didn't seem to mind. Silly girls.

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I keep telling mine that too. But they just run the other way . [​IMG]

6. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    I don't understand the problem. Your chickens don't mind the rain. That's a good thing here in the NW.

7. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:You know I know that there crazy kids but are there any ways you have dried them at all? Weird and I know they shake it off but we have days in Oregon that turn into weeks of pouring rain and getting near the end of the year we get snow here too, I wanted to just see what others dry them with if at all? A towel?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  8. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Consider it mother nature's chicken bath. [​IMG]

9. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    We live in WA - what I fondly refer to as Land of the Rain. If I had to go out and dry off my chickens each and every time they set foot out of the coops and it rained? I'd not have chickens. I don't have that kind of time and I have as yet to lose a chicken by not drying them off after a day in the rain. My gals even went out to play in the snow over last Thanksgiving when we had over 20" on the ground! No special treatment for them then either...

Only time I ever dried any off who were wet where my spring 2011 chicks who had pasty butt and I had to soak their tushes in warm water to get the poop off. Since they were so drenched and not feathered up yet, we used a blow dryer to dry them off until they were only slightly damp and then put them under a heat lamp. That's it. (They all survived)

10. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    yep I knew I just did not want to listen to myself. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by