1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Just processed 2 birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Kanga77510, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Songster

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Just finished doing my first two birds ever. Raised them from chicks to fridge. I feel pretty weird about it; I harvested an animal. 24 hours ago they were crowing and running around in the yard. Now they're in the fridge.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    awesome--how many? what kind were they-how heavy? Im still debating on whether or not Ill take the plunge!

3. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Songster

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Quote:Two. White leg horns, roosters. Got them in April, and I thought they'd be bigger. Maybe a couple of pounds each.

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:Two. White leg horns, roosters. Got them in April, and I thought they'd be bigger. Maybe a couple of pounds each.

It takes quite some time to get meat on heritage breed birds.... Good for oyu for going thru with it.. I just recently sat down to a meal with my parents, kids and myself and realized EVERYTHING on the table was from our yard and our hands.. It was an amazing feeling

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Yeah, it took me awhile to decide to do our first. We've only done a few since them... and it is odd. But like CoopCrazy said, when you sit down to dinner and know where all your food came from, and it was from your hard work... you feel much better! [​IMG]

6. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Songster

We haven't processed any of our own chickens. We talk about it, but neither of us feel confident to actually do the deed. I worry most about the intestines. Don't want to be cutting the wrong area and fouling any meat while trying to cut up the carcass.
    I have cut plenty of whole chickens(from the store) But they qwere already cleaned out, just a simple matter of cutting up the breast, wings, thighs & back pieces.

7. Raiquee

Raiquee Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Big Bend, WI
    I think it's perfectly normal for the first couple of times to feel weird about it. In honestly, we don't grow our own chickens (yet) but we got 2 roosters from the sitters to take care of, and the first one I had bad issues with eating. It was delicious, but I couldn't wrap my mind around it! Well, the second one I ate happily [​IMG] It was tender and so flavorful! I also know it had a much better life than the ones wrapped neatly in plastic in the grocery store.

I completely suck at cutting chicken into pieces, but I know when we grow our own, the majority of them I am going to break down. Because realistically there is only 3 of us, and a whole chicken is a lot of meat. So i'm going to have to learn! I know there is a good video on youtube of Joel Salatin ( I think) breaking them down, but I can't remember.

8. E.G.Glayer

E.G.Glayer Songster

Jan 29, 2009
    Blanchester OH
    Good Job and Kudos to you!

Weve done our own and it is very satisfying to know you have provided for yourself, however i find it is much easier to take them to the poultry processor down the road and get them done for 2.30 per bird. But if you dont have that option its still not bad to do unless you have a bunch.

9. schmije

schmije Songster

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Congrats Kanga on your first butchering! We did our first batch (Cornish X) this spring, and the butchering experience was much less traumatic than we expected. We're working on a second batch with heavy breed roosters now. I'm curious to see how these are different than the Cornish X. It feels really good to know that we can take care of ourselves.

10. patman75

patman75 Songster

I just finshed with a roo myself. Good job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by