Just pulled a guinea out of the pond...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BettyR, Nov 23, 2008.

1. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I was going to put the chickens up this evening and one of my mastiffs kept “calling” me with her “come here” bark so I went to see what she wanted and there was a guinea in the pond. It had obviously accidentally flown into the pond and swam to the edge but couldn’t get out. I scooped it up out of the water and other than being wet it seems to be OK.

The temperature is in the mid 70’s here tonight do you think it would be ok to just let it go back with all of it’s buddies?

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

yups,, it wont hurt em non,, her skin probably never even got wet [​IMG]

3. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:Thanks Jim...Put her in the chicken house last night and she's good as new this morning. [​IMG]

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

your welcomez,,,, them dang things are pretty tough!! ,, i get mine wet every morning cause they think they need to stand a foot away when i refill their water and SCREAM at me to hurry up lol [​IMG]

5. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Yea, they do love to scream don't they? [​IMG]

6. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Quote:And they make great "guard" dogs!...glad to hear she is OK....

7. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Glad she ok !

This morning,I saved one a chick that accidently slipped on the edge of the (duck pool) rim and, I heard him "crying" and I saw the mom trying to pull him out but he was to heavy so I jumped the horse fence and saved him. Hes fine now. Hopefully cozey with mom somewere.

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:This MAY be a little off topic, but how do you tell the difference between "Guinea in th pond", "Timmy fell in the well", my dogs favorite "Squirrel ran up this tree" barks ??? I thought I had them figured out , grabbed the rope and went to save Timmy, but NO the dogs are looking up the tree and there is the squirel. I'm starting to think its the same bark no matter what.

9. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    All of my idiots have taken a plunge into the frog pond at one time or another. It's a tiny Home Depot water feature that had so many pretty frogs living in it when we moved in we just couldn't bear to evict them. Now it's covered in some kind of plant that refuses to go away. It looks like solid ground, so everyone tries to walk on it.

10. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:This MAY be a little off topic, but how do you tell the difference between "Guinea in th pond", "Timmy fell in the well", my dogs favorite "Squirrel ran up this tree" barks ??? I thought I had them figured out , grabbed the rope and went to save Timmy, but NO the dogs are looking up the tree and there is the squirel. I'm starting to think its the same bark no matter what.

My dogs are inside dogs and I'm at home all day long, so I spend a lot of time with them...they are also very vocal dogs. They talk this "Wookie" talk and have different inflections for the different emotions. There is a particular inflection to the "I need your attention...come here" bark. If you spend a lot of time with your dogs you get to know them very well.

It's not any different than a mother being able to tell by her baby's cry that the baby is hungry, wet, angry, in trouble, and so on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by