Just purchased LG bator - need fan addition advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RickM, Nov 13, 2009.

1. RickM

RickM New Egg

Nov 30, 2008
    Morris County
    Reading through the various threads I see that a few have added a PC type muffin fan to their LG incubator. Can any of you advise on how to best accomplished the addition? By looking at one LG fan kit it appears that the fan does not blow directly down but out the sides to develop an indirect crossflow. The other setup appears to be a typical fan which blows directly downward.

Anyone want to chime in with your experience, instructions and/or pics? I'm planning to tie a 120v pc type fan into the existing circuit.

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  2. I bought one without the fan, and somebody on here recommended getting a P/C fan and hooking it up. don't remember who but if somebody else can't help you, let me know and I will go back thru my posts and look for them marrie

3. RickM

RickM New Egg

Nov 30, 2008
    Morris County
    Yes Sundance. I have seen the recommendations. However, I'm curious in how to mount the fan. It seems LG (Miller mfg) has a fan kit that appears to work differently (pic 1 & 2) than the factory installed model (pic 3).

4. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

RickM,

I installed a 12V pc fan in one of my Little Giants. I used spacers (approx 1/2 inch long) to set it down from the top. Then I put 1/2 inch spacers under it...with a "baffle" underneath (made of a metal coffee-can lid, edges folded). So it blows horizonally and NOT directly upon the eggs. I just used some plastic tubing as "spacers". Easy to do. (I put the fan at the same place that the factory fan goes.)

NOTE: I used a 12 V transformer from an old "portable" phone for the power supply for the 12V fan. IF I were you, I would try the computer fan on 12V FIRST. You'll probably "blow-it-up" if you plug it into 120V. I think all these PC fans are 12 Volt.

Hope this helps, [​IMG]
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

5. RickM

RickM New Egg

Nov 30, 2008
    Morris County
    Junkman,

Thanks for the great info. I'm thinking a power supply fan may be 120v....if not I probably have a suitable unit somewhere.

6. Junkmanme

RickM,

The fan that I used was a fan out of a computer Power Supply. It was 12 volt. [​IMG]

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

7. Junkmanme

RickM,

Those "out-dated" portable rechargeable phones are "a dime a dozen". Just ask around, I'm sure someone would just GIVE you one they've got laying around. All you need is the part that plugs into the 120V wall outlet (to use as a power-supply (transformer) for the fan.) Simple project.

Incidentally, I used a piece of metal next to the styrofoam (underside of top) screwed through the top in the holes where the factory fan goes. Then the spacers, then the fan, then more spacers, then the baffle.

Clear as mud? [​IMG] [​IMG]
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

8. Junkmanme

RickM,

They say, "A picture is worth a thousand words." [​IMG]

Perhaps THIS will help: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

9. RickM

RickM New Egg

Nov 30, 2008