Just put 'em under her????

1mommahen

Love My Cluckin' Coop
13 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NJ
I have a broody hen and ordered some eggss to put under her (no roo here). When I get them, what do I do before I put them in the nest? Thanks

Last edited:
I would let them sit at room temperature for 24 hours with the large end of the egg up so that the air cell can settle. I would make sure she is in an area that the other hens won't bother her and that the chick's will be safe when they hatch, and then just slip them under her. GOOD LUCK!! There is nothing cuter than a momma hen with her chicks.

I'm a newbie and just did the same thing. My Buff Orphington hen became broody --- only hen, no roo. So, I went to a farm and bought a dozen fertilized eggs. As he said, he didn't know if they were all fertile or even from which of his hens they were.

I came home with the idea of slipping in a few at a time, but wound up slipping all 12 under her. She just kept shifting her feet and "purring." Two broke --- could have been they were from young hens or just my hen's inexperience. So, now she is happily sitting on 10 eggs which should hatch on Fri the 13th.

Since I live in the "city," I have to limit myself to 4 hens ... but I figure that not all will hatch and 1/2 will become cockerels and need to go elsewhere.

Good luck!

Eileen

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know! She's in a corner of the coop that I can fence off and only has 3 other hens in with her. Hope this works~ If she hatches some, how long until I take them away from her?
idunno.gif

Wish I would have done what Stephanie said last time around.

Those folks from Erda are just plain smart!

Back
Top Bottom