Just put my eggs in. . . Temp changing a lot!!!!! HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SportChick, May 26, 2010.

1. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    I put my eggs in about 8pm. My incubator had been pretty stable for 24 hours. I added a little water to get my humidity into the 30%-ish region. The temp varies from 97-102. I am making little adjustments when I see the wide swings. Should I try to leave it alone? I am afraid I will go to bed and it will go to 102 all night. I have a still air LG incubator with a turner. HELP!!
    [​IMG]

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    You need to leave it alone and let it stabilize. The eggs will drop the temperature for awhile but it will come back up. So, after you wait for it to stabilize, then you can start adjusting temps.

Since you already adjusted, I am sure you'll have to tweak it a bit.

Still air needs to be at 102 degrees.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  3. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    What type of thermometer do you have?? If you have a brinsea spot check, that is normal because it reads temp in seconds. If its a mercury one, then you have a problem because those usually take longer to react to temperature changes. Just let them sit for a day while the bator stabilizes. Thats why i put my eggs in at night. If I saw the temp change I know I would fix it so I just go to sleep!

4. SportChick

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    Thanks. I will try to leave it alone. My digital (meant for cigars) says I am still too low. The red, mercury-like thermometer that came with my incubator says I am right at 100 (I haven't been able to hit the sweet spot of 100.5, I'm either 98 or 102+). I will leave it alone tonight. Maybe I should order the Brinsea thermomter? I wonder if they will Fed-Ex it?????

5. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    The sweet spot is 99.5 actually. But the brinsea spot checks are extremely accurate. Your temps will be diff in almost every spot in the bator because it is soooo exact. You should take five readings in five diff spots and average the numbers. Top of the bator should be like 101 the middle should be 100 and the bottom should be 99. It is spot on!

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    If you have still air the temperature needs to be 102 degrees. 100 is too low.

7. SportChick

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    Really? I thought I was aiming for 100.5 for a still air? Someone else said I should still be aiming for 99.5. Can I get others to weigh in on this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by