just put my first eggs in my incubater :D

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by s28lty, Feb 7, 2011.

1. s28lty

s28lty New Egg

Feb 4, 2011
    this is all new 2 me only had my chickens 3 week ago and iv brort my self a incubater and some hatching eggs i dont no much about it only what iv read on the net iv got a r-com suro automatic i think it will be easy [​IMG]
    is ther any think i need 2 no ?
    day 1 and the eggs r in [​IMG]

2. rickerra

rickerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    [​IMG]

So you've had chickens for 3 weeks now and decided you wanted to hatch some more? Very fun! What type of chickens do you have now? What kind of eggs did you get?

Follow your incubator instructions and you should be fine. If it doesn't have an automatic egg turner then be sure to turn them at least 3 times per day for days 1-18. Then for days 19-21, stop turning and adjust humidity per your instructions (higher than previous 18 days) and go into "lockdown"... where you don't open the lid until they've all hatched or were duds.

Best of luck to you. I just crossed into day 3 of my first hatch too!

Cheers!

3. s28lty

s28lty New Egg

Feb 4, 2011
    Thanks 4 ur reply rickerra,

iv been reading about breeding and i thort that it sounds fun i wanted 2 try it my self i dont want more chickens i gess im going 2 have some tho [​IMG]
    iv got 2 warrens 2 Rhode Island Red Bantam (hens) and 1 cock 2 Light Sussex Bantam. i brort 8 lemon cuckoo bantam 16 mix bantams eggs i only had them because they was cheap and not far from me didnt want 2 risk ones in the post has its my first time
    my bater is fully automatic and is pre set to 37.5 celsius and 50% humidity so at day 18 turn the humidity up how much?
    you said your on day 3 we shud both have chicks around the same time then i hope [​IMG]

What type of chickens do you have? and how long u bin keeping chickens ?

Best of luck to you to

4. rickerra

rickerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Quote:Hi. Breeding does sound like fun. But I live too close to my neighbors so I will not be able to keep roosters... for the sake of good neighborly relations. I'm planning for my first 3-4 hen backyard flock. This is my first time with chickens too. I've learned a ton reading all the info here. I was going to start with female chicks from the feed store... but then got interested in incubating. So I build my own incubator and found a local chicken breeder lady to sell me some of her variety/mixed eggs. You can see my incubator... click on "View My BYC Page" (<---) under my name to the left.

Sounds like you got your incubator up and working well. 50% humidity should be fine for days 1-18. A lot of folks use 65% for days 19-21... so you could shoot for that. Do you have an automatic turner or hand turn the eggs?

Here's a good article about incubating..
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html

This is fun!
    Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by