Just put the feathered friends in their coop...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by urbanfarmers, Jun 23, 2010.

1. urbanfarmers

urbanfarmers Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    I hope I'm in the right place! Any how, I just put all of my feathered friends in their coop yesterday evening and they seemed to absolutely love it...whew! [​IMG] We aren't completely finished with their condo; hubby still needs to put a real door on the run so I can get in and out for cleaning and we need to figure out how I can collect the eggs without having to crawl in the coop on my hands and knees. He's going to rectify all of this on Saturday....he has to work the next 3 days.

When I introduced them to their new pad I set them in the coop and let them decided what they wanted to do. My Reds walked around a bit and then went right out to the run and had a good old time walking around, looking around and just hanging out. My 8 baby chicks stayed in the coop for a while and then finally got the nerve to head out to the run. That was about 6pm yesterday and now it's 2:18am. With that being said, here are my issues with my chickens....

1. My Reds aren't using the roost, they are sleeping huddled together near the water and food (It's in the coop for now so I can get to it until we get the door situation on the run taken care of). Will this just take time because it's their first night in their new pad?

2. My Wy's (they are about 8 weeks) are all sleeping outside, huddled together in one corner of the run. [​IMG] They are safe from predators but I'm freaking out because they haven't gone back into the coop for any food or water! It hasn't even been 12 hours but shouldn't they be thirsty by now! [​IMG]

I have read some other posts that say I might have to train my chickens to go in and out of the coop and/or put them on the roosts at night, but that's going to be a bit difficult trying to remove staples from the chicken wire and wood in complete dark and then reattaching the chicken wire. Other option is to put food and water outside in the run in the morning and then try to figure out a door all by myself...I'm not totally helpless. [​IMG]

So there's my first 'real' post. If you have any tips, hints or suggestions please feel free to let me know!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    many here will tell you that you should lock them in the coop without access to the run for a few days. That gets them used to home base. Then open the run and they'll all go back home at night.

And you may need to set them on the roosts for the first couple of nights.

3. urbanfarmers

urbanfarmers Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    I remember reading that some place but I thought that was meant for chickens that run loose. [​IMG] I have only had mine for about a week so there's a whole lot I have to learn! Looks like I will be locking their little tails in the coop tomorrow. Thanks so much for your help!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by