1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just put two-day-olds under broody - DH worried they will suffocate

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bawkbawkbawk, Jun 16, 2011.

1. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never seen any posts suggesting baby chicks can suffocate under a broody mama, but my husband is concerned about it. Should I worry?

2. bawkbawkbawk

Anyone?

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I don't think so. I am amazed at how my itty bitty serama can tuck three babies up under her and still look so flat!

4. bawkbawkbawk

I just don't hear any peeping - does that mean they're happy? Or something bad? [​IMG]

5. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Now I'm no expert but mine don't peep unless they are either out from under her or at least have their heads out. Mama hens were made to tuck those little ones up under there. And really, if she hasn't smothered them (which I have not ever heard of) then they will be fine...if she has, there wouldn't be anything you could do to change it....so relax and quit worrying about it. How long has she had them?

6. bawkbawkbawk

It's only been an hour - DH was so frantic we went in and lifted her off of them - all five alive. I've never heard of chicks suffocating under a mama hen but he got worried about it so then I did, too. Can you tell we're new at this? [​IMG]

Now we wait to see if she accepts them, which I know is the real test.

7. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Hahaha! Well leave her alone. She knows what to do. In a day or so she should have them out moving around and about. Have fun!

8. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    I won't say it can't happen. I've had chicks squished by mamas but usually as they are hatching and they get caught under her leg instead of under her wings or body. They also were first time mamas so proabably didn't know what was happening. I have large Cochins too and they are unusually heavy birds. They didn't suffocate from being underneath her though and I bet your two day olds will fare OK as long as she accepts them.

9. bawkbawkbawk

But then how do they get food and water? Do we remove them from her so they can eat and drink?

10. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Quote:No, you leave them alone...really. As long as you have them where they can get in and out of the nest then she will take care of getting them to the water and food. Make sure they cannot drown in water. I put in one of those red screw on the bottle type of waterers or you can use a jar lid (but it gets spilled often) or you can use a small bowl filled with rocks so they can drink in between or just don't fill it very full.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by