Just ran off a hawk!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gvntofly05, Oct 29, 2009.

1. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    I just got done feeding my daughter and went to the kitchen to get a wash cloth. When I looked out the kitchen window there was a Red Tail Hawk perched on top of my run. All 26 of my 6 week old babies were already in the coop. My run is covered so the hawk was unable to get any of them. I ran to my living room grabbed my husbands baseball, ran out the back door and I actually hit the hawk with the ball! I guess I still haven't lost my pitching skills over the years! I'm hoping that maybe, that one at least, won't be coming back!

2. rapunzil

rapunzil Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2009
    Kendall Park, NJ
    Good shot! Call the Yankees! You go girl!!!!!!!

Would you believe the day after our chicks arrived I found out my neighbor has been feeding the turkey vultures cat food on her back porch?

I'm hoping they won't be interested in "live" food!

3. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Nice aim! Very impressive [​IMG] If I run into hawk problems I'm gonna call you. I can barely hit the broad side of a barn. Haha!

4. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Oh I hate the hawks! And the skunks and the Racoons... [​IMG]
    Good job getting rid of it! [​IMG]

5. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

I went out sunday around 1 to go to the garage to feed all my chickens. Our garage is about 12 foot from the house so there is a lil Breeze way area inbetween. As soon as I headed out the door I heard chickens sqwak!! and I heard one of my hens hit the side of the garage, just barely missing the claws of a hawk. Shes was a full grown standard hen and the hawk was half her size. She just barely got out of the way. Needless to say my standard cochins that have been alowed to free range 100% of the time are goin into a run this weekend after I take some others to our BYC swap.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Wow, nice shot! I'd probably hit my chicken by accident. [​IMG] Can't throw to save my life.

7. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Quote:Holy cow, why?! I can't imagine why anyone'd want them right close, they're god-awful ugly (and I ought to know. At my alma-mater the blamed things would lounge around the quad, glaring at the students, or sit on the ledges outside the library windows and smirk at you as you did research. They ate the caulking out of the sunlights, too).

8. karl lutz

karl lutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Quote:Holy cow, why?! I can't imagine why anyone'd want them right close, they're god-awful ugly (and I ought to know. At my alma-mater the blamed things would lounge around the quad, glaring at the students, or sit on the ledges outside the library windows and smirk at you as you did research. They ate the caulking out of the sunlights, too).

They even poop on themselves to cool off now is that gross or what. Well at least chickens eat it .

9. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

dang hawks! I had a red tail hawk swipe 4 of my girls and the BR roo I was going to have for dinner the next week. grrrr.

10. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I had one sitting on the roof of my coop looking down into the run just last week.
    Looked like it was picking out breakfast, my husband ran it off but we have a terrible time with hawks this time of year.
    They are migrating from now through November.
    I have an excellent rooster who rounded the girls up and chased them into the coop even though they were in the run, I am glad he was doing his job.
    He is a little worry wart when it comes to his girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by