just read a new post,need input

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by gaza, Dec 5, 2010.

1. gaza

gaza Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    hi,just read this post,that says without peahens,males will run off.
    i have heard differently?
    i have 3 peacocks,5 months old,have had them since they were 2 days old.
    have them in an outdoor pen,and plan on free ranging them when they are 6-7 months old
    they are hand tame,all eat from my hand,but only one loves to be petted.
    i am not supposed to have these birds in my surburban area,but many parts of los angeles has them,and from what i can gather,unless every nieghbour complains,all will be fine
    i got males,so that 3 would be all i had,asi have seen the population explode in other areas.
    i ,from reading other posts,thought that if no other peafowl were around,that these guys would stay?.
    any input?
    gary

2. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    They will run off I would get a few hens you could take their eggs or chicks to prevent a population explosion.

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    If you have other birds like chicken and etc....you will be find. Know many who have just peacocks free range. I myself haveone that freerange, even after Iremove all my breeders to their winter home....here pic of him no other peafowl here just a few chickens.

[​IMG]

4. gaza

gaza Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    hi,i dont have chickens,but have 45 finches/parrakeets/doves/parrots in an avairy.
    gary

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Gary they do need lot of room if freeranged. They will not just stay in a small yard. If and when you want to let them out, only do one he will stay around the other . then after a day or two let a 2nd out and etc.....again depend on how large a area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by