just realized i have a flood light next to my coop! fake daylight ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by karlamaria, Dec 11, 2011.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I was sitting here tonight and thought, I wish I had put electricity on the coop and a timer, then it hit me, i have a flood light in my yard, and there window is just below it. Do you all think this will fool them into thinking they have sun light? is it ok to turn on in the evening and let it go until around 10:00 before shutting it off? or do I have to get up at 4:00 am to turn it on? seems so much easier to give them light at night lol. do you think this kind of extra light will have them setting again? I have only gotten 1 egg a day therse last several days, 2 last week.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It might work. How bright does it make your coop? I'd give them the light at night, too. They'll roost even with the light shining in.

3. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    It's pretty bright, so at night to ? Ok, tomorrow will be the starting point, I will post here if my egg production goes up thanks

4. x2

sunset to 1hour and 6am to sunrise.

Dont know how many hens of laying age you have to judge on egg quantity, but I would use this opportunity to worm if you have not in a while. Not getting eggs anyway and normal egg withdraw time is 14 days. I had always gone natural in the past until I noticed worms from one hen. Hit everyone with Valbazen and I went from one egg a day to 6 a day within 2 days of worming 9 hens.

5. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Quote:Good idea! I will look for some this week !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by