Just realized this..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adubsroit, Jan 14, 2011.

1. adubsroit

adubsroit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    ..but one of the eggs I have incubating, currently on day 6 (expected hatch January 28), has a crack in the shell. The crack in all honesty is minuscule, you can't even feel it, but when candling it is painfully obvious (now at least, didn't notice t when I set it). To add insult, the crack is just below the air sac. As if things weren't great enough, turns out this egg (which is very circular in shape) had been set on it's round side, pointy side up. I am wondering how bad these conditions are for the obviously developing embryo (which seems fine, has a heart beat and everything). What are the chances that with all things considered that this embryo will develop and become a healthy (hopefully) pullet??

This is not my first hatch and I feel way dumb.. [​IMG]

Help.. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Use a candle and drip a small amount of wax to seal the crack and it should be fine. A lot of us have hatched chicks that were waxed.

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Has a heart beat? What are you using to candle that you can tell that? I'm also incubating a cracked egg just now - I SWEAR the crack wasn't there when I candled before setting - so I'll be checking back on your replies for advice. Off to look for an un-scented candle just now!

4. adubsroit

adubsroit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    I assume it's a heart beat, the embryo is visible and if you pay attention to it you can see it slightly twitching. This could also be my had twitching, but I'd like to think that embryo is a fighter and will be just fine. Also, I SWEARRR I had candles.. Now, for the life of me, I can't even find a simple tea candle.

5. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ah, right. Just wondering cause I've seen these really expensive candlers (for people hatching out rare parrots and the like) that you put the whole egg inside and it gives you a digital readout of the embryo's heartbeat. Thought for a minute maybe you had one of those. They look REALLY cool. If you've got like £400 to spare, that is!

6. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Wow, those sound like nifty candlers!

Good luck with your egg and with the rest of your hatch. I'd try waxing it, can't hurt to try [​IMG]

7. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Yeah. Google 'Buddy digital egg monitor' and have a look. [​IMG]

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    crazy glue works great.....main problem with a crack is it will let the egg dry out to fast. yes have hatched many cracked eggs........

9. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)

Very nice! I did note no price. I suspect it's a case of 'If you have to ask you can't afford it'. [​IMG]

10. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC

Very nice! I did note no price. I suspect it's a case of 'If you have to ask you can't afford it'. [​IMG]

Here's a link I found when i looked a little deeper... http://www.hoobly.com/0/0/1540699.html

Goddess
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by