Just received six ladies, but one not looking so good

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by organicsprouts, Mar 31, 2012.

1. organicsprouts

organicsprouts New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    We just received our first chickens! They are such wonderful ladies and we have grown attached to them already. One of them, a rhode island red, does not seem to be doing so well. She is around 22 weeks. They just moved from a 20-acre free-range farm to our small backyard, so she may just be depressed or adjusting to her new environment. The other five are all doing well, but she is seems very lethargic and has a really messy bottom. Her tail feathers are very droopy and she shakes a clearish liquid that seems to be coming from her inside her beak. We received them four days ago and she has not laid an egg. She is drinking water, but is not eating much at all. When we throw a worm right in front of her, she does nothing. We went ahead and separated her from the rest of the flock in case she has something contagious, but I do not want to stress her more. Any thoughts??

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    bring her into the house to monitor poops, eating etc. check for mites and lice, do you know if they had been wormed? since she is shaking her head- listen to her chest, is she gurgling at all?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome from Louisiana! [​IMG]

6. organicsprouts

organicsprouts New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    We did separate her and she has her own little coop now so we can monitor her eating and pooping. I do not think she has been wormed as they were practically "wild", only came in to lay their eggs and roost. He did not feed them or water them as they had plenty to eat in the wild and a creek to drink from. I have looked her over and do not see any mites or lice. Doesn't seem to be any gurgling in her chest. She is eating more today than yesterday, but still lots of liquid coming from her mouth.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. I would put some vitamins and electolytes in her water. It can give her boost. :thumbsup

8. organicsprouts

organicsprouts New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    We just gave her some young coconut water kefir (a probiotic beverage) and she has totally perked up! She is going crazy when we give her worms and is no longer looking like she is going to fall over. Her butt is still a mess, though. Should we try to clean it or will it get better on it's own as she starts to become more active (hopefully her health continues to progress)? Thank you for all of your help! Two people recommended this site and said it was the best resource for backyard chickens!

9. Broken

Broken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    welcome

10. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

It absolutely is the best site!

About the pasty butt. You could wash her if its bad, OR, you could provide a tub of sand/dirt for them to dust bathe in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by