1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

just @#%%$^$% Rediculous!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickhamm, May 26, 2008.

1. chickhamm

chickhamm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    I have a long cage / brooder that i built for my biddies last month, its 3 ft deep, 8 ft long. It has no doors in it, the roof slants from back split into 2 parts. Each side lifts up to get in.

I went out late this morning to check on the babies before we left for the store. GAH [​IMG]

2 baby buff silkies were dead and a 3 rd one was limping really bad. I'm like how the hel........ at first i didn't notice anything wrong on them till i picked up the one that was limping, something had EATEN ITS LEG!!! Then i check the 2 dead ones, each one was missing one leg. Thats it, nothing else, just the one leg WT....!!!!! these were all around 4 to 6 weeks old.
    the one that was alive was my blue one i hatched from mel *sighs* i hated putting that beautifull little baby down.

I'm sooo feeling like i want to give up. there are a few small openings along the roof and such. Im going out to drag my hubbys air compressor out and put that nail gun to use!

chickhamm
    Theressa
    GA

2. nutmeggie

nutmeggie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Do you know what got in? I'm sorry about your little ones.

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    If the bottom is wire then the predator may not have gotten in, but managed to pull the legs out through the wire.

Matt

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Oh I am SO sorry.[​IMG]

5. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I'm so sorry. I agree it could have been something that got them from outside the pen and could only get the legs out of the pen. I once had a baby bunny when I had rabbits in outdoor pens that a kitty got a hold of it's neck and it had 2 nice puncture holes in the neck but it couldn't get it out of the pen because the bunny was larger than the wire was. Could a cat, dog, ect. reached in and not been able to pull the chick all the way out?

6. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I am so sorry. That must have been awful for you to find them. Good that you still have some left and hope you can solve the mystery of what happened to them.
    Anne

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Sounds like a raccoon. They're notorious for stuff like that...
    I'm sorry for your losses.

8. chickhamm

chickhamm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    There is no way it could have gotten them from the bottom, its plywood, i dont use wire bottoms for the little ones. The ends are closed with lap sidding and the sides 1/4 inch hardware cloth. I fouind a few 3 and 4 inch openings that were long. Ive closed those up and going to find any other ones and close those.

chickhamm
    Theressa
    GA

9. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    I am so sorry [​IMG] That's terrible news. I hope you're able to predator-proof your brooder...don't give up, you have others who need you still.

10. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I've had cats do that to my quail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by