Just rescued 5 Buff Orpington-Help Please!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tennesseechickie, Apr 11, 2011.

1. tennesseechickie

tennesseechickie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Lewisburg, TN
    I didnt realize that these chicks would be in such bad shape. I was excited to find some BOrpingtons near my home, so eagerly drove over a while ago to pick up 4. When I saw them as the guy was putting them into my box(which was the same size as his 50+ were in, I couldnt figure out why they looked wet. Then on the drive home, opened the lid to peek at them and the smell that hit me was unbelievable! Pure stinch! And their fuzz was caked all over! Is this urine and poo? I guess it must be from the smell! I realized I wouldnt be able to put them in with my other 8 chicks who are very healthy, so I rushed to town, got another food bowl and waterer and heat lamp and put them by themselves until I figure out whether or not they are healthy. My question is, should I try to wipe them off, bathe them somehow? I dont want to make them cold, but they look awful and stink really bad!! Will they self clean as time goes on? How long should I wait before putting them in with my healthy chicks? They are sooo pitiful!

Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    You can bathe peeps if you have to -- just do it somewhere warm, with warm water, and fluff them (warm hairdryer if you have one that's not excessively strong) when you're done.

I've seen a lot of nasty stories on this site, but for some reason this one really makes me sick -- I can't even IMAGINE how a person could get peeps into this state.

Under the circumstances, I would quarantine them a full 30 days, just as you would for adults. If not longer.

3. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    i would keep them warm and first try a warm baby wipe to see if that gets any of the yuck off and if it does i would get as much off as i could in a 5 minutes period and then just let them be and make sure they are eating and drinking watch to see if they can take care if it themselves and if not them you have to to give them a light sponge bath tomorrow i wouldn't want to stress them out to much

4. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    awww, poor babies! I would do as others said, keep separate, make sure they are eating and drinking, let them settle in and then bathe and dry them. Buff Orps are so cute, I'm sure they will appreciate any and all TLC you provide.

5. tennesseechickie

Apr 3, 2011
    Lewisburg, TN
    Uzuri, this guy had so many chicks all crammed together! Clearly they are just about the $$, as he didnt look intelligent enough to take care of them. He told me as I was walking to them that they had gotten "too hot" so he had to turn their light off. I just wonder how hot they got before he noticed!! I am really hoping they live. If they dont make it, I will not be surprized. I will def. keep them to themselves until I can see they are completely healthy. I so wish I could have taken every single chick there. Then he tried to sell me a Buff O hen that had something wrong with it! Cant remember what disease he said!

Suze, Thank you for the ideas on the wipes. And I will definitley wait until tomorrow to bathe if I have to. I dont want to freak them out. I can already tell they are doing better since Ive gotten them home.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

O M G

You can gently wash them under a faucet with the water running warm, and using Dawn dish soap. One at a time. Thank goodness you don't have all 50+. - or maybe not?!? I'd use baby wipes for their heads, though. Then damp dry in a towel, and use the lowest setting on a hair dryer to fluff the poor little things up.

I'm still OMG over this.

7. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Those poor babies [​IMG] As the others have said bath ok as long as they are dried right away!! Three cheers for you Best of Luck I hope these turn out to be the best ever!! [​IMG]

8. tennesseechickie

Apr 3, 2011
    Lewisburg, TN
    Thanks everyone. I will try the wipes first, see what happens. If no luck, I will try the warm sprayer in our sink, very gently, then the hair dryer. If all goes well I will post some updated pics.

Ok, just tried to wipe them with a warm wash cloth..no luck. It is seriously caked on. When I picked one up, the smell was so bad. I cannot believe the smell. They are in horrible shape. I would love to just curse that guy out that sold them to me. I know it wouldnt make a difference to him, after all, in his mind, theyre just money.

9. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    [​IMG] Those poor little bugga's!! I hope they make it...I think just using warm water with the warm blow dryer would do the trick..I would not be surprised if they perk up once they are clean and dry...good luck to you and those little ones!! Thanks goodness you took them..if they do not make it, at least they would have had had a warm dry bed of their own...good luck and keep us posted!

10. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I wonder if this is something the county should know about. No chick or chickens should be kept in that kind of condition its animal abuse. Trying to sell you a sick hen? Really? Gah I really hate people sometimes. Maybe thats why I keep collecting animals.

I hope those poor babies make it. Don't forget the vitamin water I bet they could use it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by