Just Rescued a wild Mallard Duckling...would like info/advice etc.

IvanK

Songster
Sep 25, 2017
Manitoba
Hi! Ok, so I've got loads of chickens, turkeys and muscovy ducks on my farm but about an hour ago mother nature threw me a curve ball...one of my cats showed up with a baby duck in it's mouth! I was horrified and at first thought it had somehow gotten into one of my brooders but it was clear it was not a muscovy.
I scared the cat off and the duckling is still alive and quite spirited...albeit cold and terrified. I've ID'd it as a Mallard chick and it must have strayed away from it's nest along the river where we live.
Fortunately I have a few turkey chicks sharing a large brooder with some muscovy hatchlings so I took the little cutey and introduced it to the tiny flock of fluff. Everyone involved seems pleased enough.
Now aside from a wildlife rehabilitation center that I could take this chick to, I'm capable of raising this duckling but don't know much about mallards other than they're aquatic and need more water than muscovies. I'd like to think it'll be a nice addition to my farm for years to come and that I could give it a nice home. Am I thinking about this all wrong? Are there any challenges that I'll face or that this duckling will face moving forward? The fact that it was born wild shouldn't inhibit it's ability to become a member of my current flock should it?
I've been culling roosters all day (I never get used to it) so in some way, I'd like to see the arrival of this duckling as my way of giving life back.
Any thoughts, advice or ideas?
Thanks in advance!

Hey, since your pretty familiar with all the duck knowhow, it shouldn't be hard at all. Mallards aren't that different than any other ducklings, but I found an article that might be useful to you that has lots of info on how to take care of Mallards ducklings specifically. You will probably know most of what is on this article, but there are some good tid-bits in here! Besides the work, it's so amazing to watch them grow up, they can be so funny! You will do just fine considering that you have already raised ducks, and have all of the things required for raising them!
Here's the link!;)
http://duckhobby.com/raising-mallard-ducks-how-to-raise-mallards-in-your-backyard-duck-yard/
Good luck!! :thumbsup

My recomendation is hug him alot and then seriosly think if keeping him is the right choice. Once hes reliant on you he will never be wild again

But on the other hand i myself make bad choices and ide keep him. And i wouldnt tell anyone where i got him

Loose lips sink ships

Oh and we require pictures for our important research

Technically, it's illegal to take a Mallard from the wild. Also, a cat bite or scratch can kill him, even if it seems fine now, so he should be on antibiotics. A small scratch or bite puncture can be vary hard to see, so don't assume it doesn't have one. I'd bring it to a wildlife rehabber as they'll have the best chance of helping this little one recover from this traumatic experience and possible/probably injury. They also have the best chance of getting this bird back with wild ducks where it belongs :/

Technically, it's illegal to take a Mallard from the wild. Also, a cat bite or scratch can kill him, even if it seems fine now, so he should be on antibiotics. A small scratch or bite puncture can be vary hard to see, so don't assume it doesn't have one. I'd bring it to a wildlife rehabber as they'll have the best chance of helping this little one recover from this traumatic experience and possible/probably injury. They also have the best chance of getting this bird back with wild ducks where it belongs :/
Well it's day two and the little guy/gal is eating, drinking an running around. So far so good. I definitely didn't "take" this bird from the wild but rather rescued it from certain death and the only thing keeping it alive is my heat lamp and good will.
I will definitely contact natural resources in the morning and see what they say. I have nothing to hide and I suppose it's just as good if they insist I bring the duckling in/they pick it up. Either way, I'm just happy it's alive and thriving :)

Keep it on the 'down low' as it is illegal to keep a wild mallard.
Appreciate the advice. It's not so much about keeping him or not and I certainly didn't "take" this duckling from the wild... Either way, at my farm or in a government rehab center, I'm happy if he/she makes it. I suppose it would be nice to raise him/her...but it's not for me to decide. I'll let natural resources know what happened and go from there.

For those that wanted a pic...the rescued duckling is on the right...on the left 3 muscovy ducklings and below a small white beltsville turkey chick. I know the heat lamp kills the color quality but it's night and it is what it is :)

IMG_4200.JPG

Back
Top Bottom