Just reserved our puppy - link to parent's pics added!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Oct 23, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Just got off the phone with the breeder. We are second on the list for the December litter between Jax's sire and his dam's sister.
    Hopefully there will be a sable or black male in the litter and that's not what the other family wants. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yay! [​IMG] So would that be Jax's cousin then?

3. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    I would seriously urge you to reconsider getting another male. It is always easier to have an opposite sex pair. The risk of a dog fight is almost nil, and if you neuter one or the other no worries of accidental matings.

I live with 2 b.itches who cannot be together. It is not fun, and always a potentially dangerous situation.

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Well the way I've figured it, the pup will be Jax's half-brother and his cousin. That makes sense to me, seeing as how we live in Arkansas. [​IMG]

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Well the way I've figured it, the pup will be Jax's half-brother and his cousin. That makes sense to me, seeing as how we live in Arkansas. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:We've considered that, but in talking to other GSD owners (DH belongs to a GSD forum) we've been told that GSDs are an exception to the rule. The breeder himself has two breeding males (Jax's sire and their other sire) that live together in harmony and several protection GSDs that are all males together.
    We seriously prefer males. That's not to say we won't fall in love with a female when the time comes. [​IMG]

7. Chew593

Chew593 Chillin' With My Peeps

GSD is German Sheppard Dog? or am I way off?

8. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Chew, yes that is correcto-mundo. (Shepherd, to the purists. [​IMG] )

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I have to say that the most fighting I ever had was raising a young male with an older female. I will NEVER have that again.

I preferred two males together. My labs did wonderfully. I did neuter them at 6 months though.

10. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    How would 2 female GSDs work? I already have a 4 month old female and am considering another female next year. I prefer females but if that won't work I'll consider a male.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by