Just returned from cruise to celebrate our 10 year anniversary - PICS

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Nifty-Chicken, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

My wife and I just got back from a 7 night cruise (plus 2 days in Miami) to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. The cruise went:

We visited these places:

Cozumel
    Belize
    Roatan
    Grand Cayman
    Miami South Beach
    Everglades National Park

All the pics are on Facebook here , but those not on FB can see some pics below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited to add Emily's notes from FB about what we did:

I am just starting with brief notes, but plan to come back to fill in more details later

First Day - We were the 2nd couple into the cruise terminal (we had an early flight). We took a nap on some couches inside. Met a nice couple sitting near us when we woke up and ended up spending most of the cruise with them. [​IMG]

GEORGEOUS sunset as we left Miami.

Day at Sea -

Cozumel - San Gervasio Ruins with friends. Not super impressive ruins, but we saw lots of iguanas and the weather was beautiful. The ruins and sink holes were kind of cool and we saw a blue morpho butterfly! We also got mosquito bites before using our mosquito repellent and I managed to get a drop in my eye. Thankfully I seem to be alright. [​IMG]

Snorkeling at Playa De Uvas - our first time snorkeling. Water was nice. Sand was very rocky. Water was SO clear and we saw so many cool fish. Plus an octopus and I saw a small jellyfish, and we saw the tail of an eel.

Had some neat thread wrapped bracelets made for the girls. Did some shopping near the port and visited an internet spot before returning to the main port shops.

Belize - Didn't do much here. There wasn't really time to make it out to the Lamanai ruins and Crooked Tree like I'd wanted to do. The Baboon Sanctuary I guess only has about 6 babboons, so we just walked up and down the one street we were told would be pretty safe. Kind of fun to experience the culture. [​IMG] I thought the funniest thing was the sign for a shop that read, "Drugs & Poisons."

Roatan Island - It was rainy, but pretty. SO green! There were chickens everywhere. [​IMG] We took a taxi around the island a bit and checked out a few beaches. Our taxi driver took us to the west end and we took a boat out to the "Blue Channel" for some snorkeling. A bit larger waves than on Cozumel, and less clear water, but got to see things much closer than we had before. I especially liked the fish with little bright blue spots that looked like they were glowing. Took the boat further west to another snorkel spot where we met our taxi driver. I was cold and it was starting to rain more, so I opted to wait under cover while Rob snorkeled a bit more. Becky & I shared curly fries at Bananarama (way overpriced, but yummy and they had fun music with a live musician). Boys saw a turtle and a stingray. After lightening started, everyone was told to get out of the water. [​IMG] I'd kind of wanted to see Sherman Arch's Iguana Farm, but maybe next time.

Grand Cayman - Swimming/snorkeling with stingrays! VERY cool. Then our catamaran went to a snorkeling spot - very rough water. Some kind of cool sights, but a bit underwhelming after our previous experiences. [​IMG] Went to one more spot for snorkeling. Very pretty water and beautiful day but I felt kind of "snorkeled out" so the boys snorkeled and Becky & I watched from the boat. Saw a gar fish and a sting ray.

Rob & I caught a ride up to Boatswain's Beach to see the Turtle Farm. It was SO awesome seeing so many gorgeous sea turtles of so many different sizes. I LOVE their varied coloring!

We wanted to visit Hell (yes, this really is the name of a place on Grand Cayman) and send some postcards, but ran out of time. We fed some chickens a granola bar (they're everywhere here too!) and then rode a public bus back to our port ($2.50 each). Everyone there was SO friendly.

Day at Sea

Miami - We shared a taxi with the Larsons to our hotel in South Beach and dropped off our luggage before visiting the beach just a couple blocks away. SO pretty and the water feels so nice. Then we walked to the Holocaust Memorial - which felt a lot further away than we thought it would. It's described as being "emotive" and I think that's the best word for it. Very sad, but very well done.

The next day Rob & I drove (in a rental car) out to The Shark Valley entrance of The Everglades. So awesome to see SO many alligators up close and such cool birds! We even saw a soft-shelled turtle! BTW, Matt & Becky - there were no mosquitos! [​IMG]

Other things we did - karaoke, buffet, dining w/excellent wait staff, hot tub, dance club, comedy club, magic, Legends, trivia, outdoor movie, ballroom dancing...​

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    You were gone? [​IMG]

Looks like a great time!

3. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    [​IMG]

4. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    I love the little chick on the bench with you! Looks like you had a great cruise. Was it your first one?

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Congratulations on the 10 years, and may you have many many more!

Sounds like a great time. Thanks for sharing those lovely pictures!

Now ..... what kind of chickens? [​IMG] Surely you have more chicken pictures, right? [​IMG]

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Congrats on the 10 years and may the next 10 be more wonderful!

Thank you for sharing your trip with us Nifty!

7. yardbird tx

yardbird tx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I love those Caribbean chickens.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    WOW happy 10 years!! pictures are goegoeus and so fun filled looking! meals and weather looks fabulous-I would only dream of snorkling in the ocean good for you guys!!!!

9. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Worthy celebration, Happy Anniversary! Thanks for sharing.

10. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    So glad you guys had an awesome time - LOVE all the critter pics! Thanks so much for sharing, Rob!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by