Just saw a black slinky thing!

LilRalphieRoosmama

Officially Quacked
12 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Elyria, OH
I was out in my garden around 9:45am this morning, and out of the corner of my eye, saw movement. I turned and looked and saw a dark brown or black furry animal slink away from the apple tree into the space between my garage and greenhouse (which leads out to my driveway).

I have no idea what this creature was but after something got one of my chickens from its pen last week, I am very leery.

I'm in a rural-ish suburb on a little more than 1/2 acre. Have a chain link fence all round the property. I've been searching online for the various types of weasel-y creatures we have around here and the only thing I can come up with that it looked like was a mink. There's really no water nearby, other than a very small creek at the end of my neighbor's property (which extends 1/2 acre beyond mine).

I didn't see a tail, nor did I see white like on a skunk. I just saw the back end and it was long, thin, dark, close to the ground and slinky. I am guessing medium cat size. Any ideas? Again, this was about 9:45am. Would a noctural animal be out at this time of day?

My guess would be mink. Many predators will come out during the day if they need something or if it's quiet. We regularly watch coyotes hunting near the house during daylight hours and our barn raccoons (when they're nursing) show up at 1630 (and come quite close to us) when we feed the cats.

I looked up weasels first but they are too light brown. This was darker and from what I've read, minks are a chocolate brown color so that's what I'm guessing.

I also read that if dead chickens are missing their heads (which mine was) then it would be a member of the weasel family.

Now I'm afraid to go back out there! I'm such a chicken (pun intended)!

Back
Top Bottom