1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just saw a craigslist ad and I am so tempted, need your opinions!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cupman, Aug 13, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    These are the birds: http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/grd/2536980290.html

I
    have a flock of 16 or 17 week old birds right now, one rooster, he is also very tame. Could I integrate him in? Is this even a good deal? Ahh I don't know what to think, part of me is saying screw it the other has already put the phone number in my cell phone. What do you guys think?

2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Skip it because you have one good rooster and that is all you need. If you wanted three hens you would have to take three roosters. Not a good ratio. I don't like seeing anyone selling pairs. Even one Rooster to two Hens is too much in my opinion [​IMG]

3. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    They're very pretty. 6-9 weeks is quite young still, you'd have to segregate them until they are equal size, but if they are nice looking stock, and you have enough hens to keep 2 roos happy, then go for it! Why not?

EDIT- I see you have 11 hens, 1 roo.... 2 roos and 12 hens, might not be the ideal proportion, if you could get a few more hens though, maybe other fun varieties!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  4. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Hi..

looking at the list you have as your list of little flockers. and then the ad. I understand why they are doing the pairs. I have three roosters now. I have a LF gold barred Cochin, ( who I fully intend on getting him some girls - never thought Cochins would be so hard to find) I have and EE roo and 2 EE girls ( one of which the cochin is in love with and thinks is his-- not!) then I have just bought for my son a purebred black americauna, he will be using the black roo and 2 americauna girls ( when I find them) for a science project that will run all year ( and happily we get to keep any chicks.. ) he wanted pure bred chicks for his project so they would breed true. I also have 3 barred rock hens, 2 dark brahma hens > my favorite breed, and 1 white leghorn> not my favorite breed!..

I keep the black americauna roo separate ( he actually has a little black sex link to keep him company till I get his girls for him)
    but my LF Cochin and the EE rooster stay together day and night with no problems.

when I get the Cochin girls Ill separate them and keep the breeds true..

I really like the americauna's they are such a friendly, hardy breed, I see no problem with adding a pair to your flock, and you just may be like My son Colton and want to breed them..

most of all have fun with them, they are community animals they like the flock life.

)O(
    Pink

5. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    very pretty birds! If you could get a few more hens I would say go for it, but I agree 12 hens and 2 roosters will probably result in a lot of bare backs and harassed hens!

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I always have 2 roosters. One in the breeding pen and a spare in the bachelor's pad ........ just in case. When not breeding I have had 2 roosters in a pen with the hens and not had a problem too. If a problem, just separate them.You could always rotate them in with the girls. I have had many pens of only 3 or 4 girls with one rooster. Heck, I have even had pens with 2 hens and a rooster.

Whatever you decide....... good luck!

7. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    thanks for the info everyone. Yeah I'm planning on increasing my flock to 30 or 35 soon and I wanted to have 2 roosters. I want to breed them and I thought it would be neat to see what kind of combos of breeds I could make with 2 different roosters and a bunch of hens. I've heard you can even get some really pretty eggs. Thanks again.

8. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    So don't forget to post pics of your new ones!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by