1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just saw a huge turkey hen!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by can you hear me now?, Nov 10, 2010.

1. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Was sitting in my living room looking at posts and saw a huge turkey hen walking in the side yard by our trampoline. I had glanced up and thought wow whose grey colored dog? Then I noticed it was a turkey, didn't used to have turkeys here on our property. This makes me so happy because now I know where I will be turkey hunting this coming year.

2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Can't get more convenient than that! [​IMG]

3. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    In retrospect I wish I would have taken a picture of it. Instead I went to get the DW to show her and it was gone.

4. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, I would've loved to have seen that! And shown it to my husband who thinks that wild turkeys look like my Bourbons so I should be worried about turkey hunters.

5. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:Well if I see it again, and I am hoping I do, I will snap a picture.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    OK when is dinner??? [​IMG]

7. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:That is what I told the wife. Think of the nice turkey dinner we could have had with that. She didn't respond as well as I had hoped. She doesn't like to see birds processed, kills her appetite.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Just wrap up the bird with cellophane wrap, put it in your grocery bag and tell her there's the turkey on sale! [​IMG]

9. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Lol she still eats em, just not for awhile after I cut the up.

10. Pelican49

Pelican49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    can you hear me now? :

Was sitting in my living room looking at posts and saw a huge turkey hen walking in the side yard by our trampoline. I had glanced up and thought wow whose grey colored dog? Then I noticed it was a turkey, didn't used to have turkeys here on our property. This makes me so happy because now I know where I will be turkey hunting this coming year.

A few days after I bought this place late last spring, I was sitting on the front porch having my morning coffee, when I saw this. I was lucky enough to get into the house and get the camera without spooking her. If you watch around her feet she has 6 tiny poults with her.

I think if you click on the image you'll get the video......... I think?

[​IMG]

We'd see her about every other day. Then about 2 weeks from the first spotting, here she came with her 6 poults and another hen with her 5. I did not know turkey hens would join forces but good for them. Safety in numbers and all.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by