Just Saw the Culprit!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wbruder17, Oct 27, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    So, a couple of weeks ago, I posted that I thought my chicks had fought to the death and te general connsensus was thatt a cat or some varmint had stuck its paw in and killed the chic, and wounded another...

I just came outside and saw a stray tabby cat runningg away from the crates. That must be the one that did it! Iim so glad it wasn't my neighbors cat, as we really like him.

I put food outside the gate for the cat. It won't be getting any more of my chicks. I also put screen over the portion off the crate that a paw could get through.

Poor kitty. Its probably starving to be so bold.

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    ...You may not want to leave food out for it...it will attract it (and other cats/predators [opossums, raccoons, and skunks on top of loving baby chicks, LOVE catfood]) TO your babies...I would ask animal control to borrow a trap...in my experience, domestic animals do not kill for food like wild predator do, but more for the fun of it, or curiosity.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:x2

4. diverkell

diverkell Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicopee, MA
    Deffinately don't leave food for the cat. You will soon have all types of trouble with it and other animals. Scare it, yell at it, whatever it takes to make it stay away. Better yet trap it and bring it to the humane society. Feed the animals and you will soon have coyote in your yard like I do.

5. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    X3. Don't put food out randomly. You can borrow a live trap from almost all animal rescues and just trap it and bring it to them. It may also help if you put something on CL once you trapped the cat. The owner may come up and then you can tell him about the losses. Sometimes people feel bad about what their animals did, sometimes they don't but it would be worth a try. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by