Just saw the novasure commercial ladies .......

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by kipepeo, Jan 31, 2011.

1. kipepeo

kipepeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NC KS
    have any of you had this procedure done? The last 24 hrs really make me consider this, it has been miserable

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Never heard of them... [​IMG]

3. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Ok I googled it to see what you were talking about. Definately seems like it would be worth it for women who have difficult cycles. I was just, officially, diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome today. I have had seriously painful cycles for about a year now and they just get worse. If I were wanting to completely stop my cycles I would consider the NovaSure procedure. I will keep this in mind for after DH and I are done having children.

4. kipepeo

kipepeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NC KS
    I am maybe just starting menopause found out my family gets it early my sister started at 41 and was done by 47. I will be 43 and it started I think this summer. Had one in July none in Aug or Sept, then first 2weeks of Oct and then the last week of Oct none in Nov and Dec and it has started and stopped the entire month of January and really got severe cramping [​IMG] and a rather unpleasant amount of ...... in the last 24hrs. At this time it sounds like a good idea just wanted to hear from anyone who has had it done.

5. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    I didn't but my best friend had it done. She had a D&C to remove polyps then the ablation. She was to the point where she was bleeding heavily for 30 - 35 days each "cycle" and was severely anemic. Had cramps so bad they would make her vomit. Its been a life saver for her, literally. Because of the D&C she was done at the hospital, though from what I understand some places do it in the doctor's office. She was painful the rest of the day but within a couple days feeling much better. As I remember there was some bleeding following the procedure as she healed, but that slowed quickly and since then she's not had any bleeding. Its been several months. Her doctor was upfront and said for a lot of people this completely eliminates your period, for some it might come back but much much lighter. Partly it depends on the cause of the heavy periods. Either scenario is probably better than the current situation.

Good luck! My best friend definitely is thrilled she had it done. Hope that helps a little....

6. moonlyghtegirl

moonlyghtegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Quote:All the women in my family had finished menopause at 42. I finally hit 47, and was so miserable from endometriosis, and fibroid tumors, I just said I was done. I had a total hysterectomy on Dec 13th, and I feel better than I have in years! If you are done with having kids, and/or don't want them, consider having a total hysterectomy. It was a blessing for me, I didn't really know how sick I was because I had been sick for so long, and had so much lost quality of life.

7. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    had it about 5 yrs ago - no problems and the best part - no periods! (i'm 48 yo) easy recovery... didn't want a hysterectomy (no fibroids or endometriosis) but I had periods that would last 5 weeks with lots of large clots. Same day surgery - went home and slept, felt great the next day, some light spotting for about 10 days and then done!

just remember, while it is not a sterilization procedure, it is very difficult if not impossible to get pregnant again.

talk with your gynocologist to see if it is an option for you.

8. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I would lose so much blood during my periods that I actually had to go to bed for a day or two to regain my strength and the pain was excruciating. This was karma for all those years I laughed at people when they said that their periods were painful (okay, I didn't really laugh but I suspected that they were 'weak' or something). I did NOT want a hyst because of the possible complications from infection, anesthesia, etc... so I was thrilled to find out about this procedure. I ended up having to have mine done under general anesthesia anyway because my cervix was actually scarred closed but it went well, I went home an hour later and NO pain, NO bleeding, NO long recovery and NO problems for almost two years now. I heartily recommend this for anyone who's having difficult periods and is done having children as a marvelous alternative to hysterectomy.

9. Hummelhill

Hummelhill Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    Montville, Oh
    I too had this procedure done, about 4 years ago, at the age of 40. Best thing I ever did! (Well, maybe not the best, but it's way up there [​IMG] ) I had suffered from uncontrollable bleeding every month due to fibroids. It got to the point where it was disrupting every aspect of my life... work, vacations, etc. I can't recommend it highly enough. Ditto what the above posters say about the ease of the actual procedure and subsequent recovery.

10. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

So what's the diff between this and a hysto? Hysto you take the basket and leave the eggs so to speak... stops the cycles but doesn't totally blow your system to shreds... what Mom, Gran and Mems all had eventually... I'll have to look into this. Not too problematic yet but genetics pretty well guarantee issues in the future. Have they got any info on system status ten years later... twenty... thirty... better or worse than hysto... yeah, lotsa questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by