just saying hello as a new member on this site :-)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chicksaplenty, Nov 9, 2013.

1. chicksaplenty

chicksaplenty Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2013
    Molalla, Oregon
    I started with 6 chicks last year, built my own coop and have them free range on about 1 acre of land. I did loose one- my Buff Orpington. Still have a Barred Plymouth Rook- (Chloe), a Silver Laced (Jane) and a Golden Laced (Mary) Wyandotte, a Speckled Sussex (Elli) and a greyish Ameraucana (Leila). This year I got a banty blue laced Wyandotte rooster from a friend who lives in the city and couldn't keep him.
    My Speckled Sussex has been broody twice in the spring and then shortly after we got the rooster again- this time I let her sit on the eggs and she hatched out six little ones in August of this year. Three of them were hens and three of them are roosters.
    My hens (except for the little new ones) are full sized hens- the rooster as I mentioned is a banty. His name is Shorty :)
    At the moment momma hen is seemingly starting to go broody again- as I find her trying to build a nest in my greenhouse. The greenhouse is on the other side of the fence, quite a ways away from the other hens. this is nothing new- since she seems to find odd places to make her nest. The eggs I let her hatch- she had in my strawberry patch... ?...
    I decided to separate the 4 roosters from the hens last week. Thinking the little roosters will start their teenage hormones pretty soon and finding it kind of wrong that they might do it with their sisters... :) I know it wouldn't be a problem really, but still somehow that doesn't seem right.

anyways- figured I needed an outlet for people who also enjoy their chickens and all the little silly quirky things they do.

I am sure that I am not the only one that talks to her chickens :)

so, until later with updates on what momma hen is doing in my greenhouse- have a great time with whatever you guys are doing. :)

2. ChickenGirl22

ChickenGirl22 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    Welcome from Canada! I can tell that you'll fit in wonderfully here! Your hen sounds like a pretty unique gal! And don't worry about talking to your chickens, you're definitely not the only one, I sing and chat with mine all the time!

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined BYC today!!! :D

4. OrpObsessed

OrpObsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    East Texas
    Hi! Welcome!!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]this is where you belong - chickens - everywhere and kind people to go with them.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Your Sussex sounds like an inventive hen, how many strange places can we find to hide a nest. With talking to the chickens, I always figured there is no reason to worry until they start talking back.

7. eggtraspecial

eggtraspecial Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    my wife and I have a bench setting right beside our chicken run and spend many a hour talking and listening to our girls, some of the best therapy in the world

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

9. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG]

10. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens