Just saying hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hensofburgoyne, Jan 29, 2017.

1. hensofburgoyne

hensofburgoyne Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2017
    'ello and good morning all! I'm the proud momma of three lovely ladies who we got as lil hatchlings this past April. We have Mrs. Henrietta Hensworth, a buff chantecler, Gretchen Von Peck, a buff minorca, and Jean Pierre de Plumage, a salmon favorelle. These three lovely ladies are a joy (and you can check 'em out on instagram #hensofburgoyne).

Sadly tho, in the course of a day someone plucked almost all feathers from Gretchen's neck. Craziness. Fully feathered when they got their morning scraps (carrot peels and apples, no seeds), then almost bare base of her neck when I went to close up the coop that night. (see photo below)

We've had a ton of rain, so they haven't been out roaming so I'm pegging bordeom as the culprit and will be making adjustments with bordeom busters and whatnot. Gretchen was, of course quarantined so she can let her feathers grow back in, but I'm severely concerned. She's mid-molt, so a lot of the feathers pulled were pin/blood feathers. She had blood and some scabbing at the follicle on many of them. She seems in good spirits, but isn't eating like I'd expect (as in she doesn't eat everything in sight as per her usual), and then she's had some seriously watery poops.

[​IMG]

Any thoughts/ideas? Right now I'm just concerned about getting her thru the feather replenishment so she can get back out to join her sisters.

2. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC

There are lots of threads about feather picking just use the search box on top, the two things that seem to come up is lack of space/boredom and not enough protein.

I have no Idea, I am getting my first flock in April

Must. Finish. Coop

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

3. hensofburgoyne

hensofburgoyne Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2017
    Thanks, Gary!

The feather plucking isn't so much my concern. I'm more worried that she (one with loss of feathers) isn't eating well and has the really runny poops. I've worked with birds for years (tho this is my first round of backyard chickens) and I've lost some to just regular molt because of the stress put on the birds. Sure, a healthy hen can molt no problem, but I'm just concerned there's something else at play, but I can see no sign of it. I'd love to just chalk it all up to stress, new environment, etc, and hope it gets better - just wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom or experienced advice on how to help her thru this.

Thanks!

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under hensofburgoyne [​IMG] Welcome!

As N F C has suggested, I believe the Emergencies & Diseases Forum is going to be your best bet.

Best wishes to you and your flock!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by