Just saying hello.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Geospeedjr, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Geospeedjr

Geospeedjr New Egg

Jul 29, 2011
    Hi all,

I just joined the forum and wanted to introduce myself. My name is George Denault and have keeping chickens myself for only a couple years technically. I went to Essex Agricultural and Technical Institute (Essex Aggie) in Hathorne, Ma for high school which was more years ago than I like to admit, class of 1981. I majored in Natural Rescources but the school had at the time a commercial egg and meat program that included not just chickens but Beef and pork. Unfortunatly the focus of the school has changed somewhat and they no longer teach those as hands on.
    My wife and I have been looking for a more healthful way to feed our family and had the opportunity to adopt 4 Buff Brahmas hens from a gentleman here in Mass and I thought my three children were going to jump out of thier skin they were so excited the day we went to get them. This was last summer when Princess, Miss Blossom , Snowy and Ginger came to live with us. Unfortunatly Snowy died this past spirng from something I don't know what. She didn't suffer and got the best veterinary care around since my wife happens to own and run her own veterinary hospital. The loss of Snowy was taken hard by the children so since chicks were in at the local Agway we replaced her with a dozen chicks, 3 Golden Comets, 3 Silver Wyanndotes, 3 Black sexlinks and 3 Americanas. They all have names but I couldn't tell you what they are I just find it easier to refer to them as the chicks.
    My wife is really the driving force behind getting and keeping the chickens but I find them to be fun to watch and care for. I hope to meet some like minded people and have a good time learning more about the chicken world here.

George

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  2. Sexybit

Sexybit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Good Morning and welcome to the forum. I am new to this myself! I am sorry for the loss of your chicken. I am not looking forward to experiencing that myself. How cool is it to have a vet right under your roof?!?! I only have 2 chickens. One is a golden comet and the other I am not sure what she is. I am only zoned for 2 hens but I have a feeling I will be pushing that envelope soon!! [​IMG] Chickens are kinda like potatoe chips...you cant have just one!! [​IMG]
    Teresa

3. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    [​IMG]

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Hello George and welcome to BYC![​IMG] So sorry to hear about the loss of Snowy![​IMG] I hope you enjoy BYC as much as we do. It's nice to meet you.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas! I think a lot of people are doing just what you and your family are, George. Getting back to some degree of self sufficiency and knowing what we eat. Best of luck to you and great to have you aboard! [​IMG]

6. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hi [​IMG]

7. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] Glad you joined!

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble