Just saying hey -

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by vanstovi, Feb 3, 2015.

1. vanstovi

vanstovi New Egg

Feb 3, 2015
    This is our first go at chickens. 5 hens (barred rock and wyandotte) and one BR Roo. We got them as chicks last fall and they are just getting started laying now. Roo is starting to get nervous/aggressive...not too bad though...yet. I have some questions, but thought I'd at least say hello and read through the archives and required reading before posting. Having fun so far...it is very relaxing to sit and watch them scratch around. I call them my hillbilly fish tank. The coop is pretty close to the house, in a secure enclosure with netting on top to keep the hawks away. We live on 12 acres, about an hour away from Kansas City, MO. My wife loves the sound of the Roo crowing and our closest neighbor has chickens to, so he isn't bothering anyone. I haven't let them free range yet, but looking forward to it come spring.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you could join the flock! Sounds like you have a great set up. This is a nice article on roo behaivour..... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/dealing-with-roosters-roo-behavior
    Hope you find useful if he does start getting a bit much.
    Chicken TV is great I love sitting out and watching them go about their business!!

Wishing you the best of luck and hope you enjoy BYC, I am sure you will :frow

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined.

It sounds like you have a nice variety of birds! I'm sorry to hear that your rooster is becoming mean. You may want to look at this article on rooster behavior: Dealing with Roosters - Roo Behavior

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

We'll be happy to answer any questions that you have. [​IMG] Good luck with your flock!

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry your rooster is becoming a bit aggressive. Be careful around him and keep the little ones away from him as roosters can do great bodily harm to everyone. Generally they don't improve with age.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. If your rooster becomes too aggressive, you should cull him from the flock as you don't want to risk injury to anyone around him or breed that kind of aggression into your flock. There are loads of unwanted roosters available out there and a gentle one can always be found. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Chicken behavior changes are not as uncommon as you may think. I had hens who changed their behavior completely too. I know what it's like[​IMG]

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by