Just set 23 coturnix eggs and 4 pekin eggs Due 8/23 and 9/3 anyone in?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jfulcher, Aug 6, 2011.

1. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Just set my first batch of coturnix eggs, and first batch of pekin eggs, anyone wanna hatch along?

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Im gona put a new batch of eggs in the bator tomoro, mine for some reason, usualy hatch a day early, so ours might hatch on the same day. Oh wait, your hatching quails, well I guess we'll hatch in th same week [​IMG] Good luck!

3. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Good luck to you too!!! I have a total of 48 eggs in the bator atm! :-O

4. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    [​IMG]
    All my eggies!!!

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:What are the little ones? are they button quail? Doesn't duck eggs take more humidity and longer to hatch?
    Michele

6. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:What are the little ones? are they button quail? Doesn't duck eggs take more humidity and longer to hatch?
    Michele

The uber tiny ones are button, the larger eggs are coturnix, then yes the duck eggs take a little higher humidity during hatch, but I have a hatcher. It is ok to have it about 50-55% during the incubation as long as I bump it in the hatcher [​IMG] And by the time the quail hatch (23rd of august) they will be all by their lonesome in the bator so no issues there.

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Michele

The uber tiny ones are button, the larger eggs are coturnix, then yes the duck eggs take a little higher humidity during hatch, but I have a hatcher. It is ok to have it about 50-55% during the incubation as long as I bump it in the hatcher [​IMG] And by the time the quail hatch (23rd of august) they will be all by their lonesome in the bator so no issues there.

I never thought of the hatcher dah. How long do quail eggs take. I'm on day 21 and still no chicks. Someone is chirping in there some are pipping and at a stand still. I had a temp drop to 87 before I found . Don't know how long it was down, could that slow the process down.
    Michele
    edit spelling errors my smart phone can't spell

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  8. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:The uber tiny ones are button, the larger eggs are coturnix, then yes the duck eggs take a little higher humidity during hatch, but I have a hatcher. It is ok to have it about 50-55% during the incubation as long as I bump it in the hatcher [​IMG] And by the time the quail hatch (23rd of august) they will be all by their lonesome in the bator so no issues there.

I never thought of the hatchery dah. How long do quail eggs take. I'm on day 21 and still no chicks. Someone is chirpping in there some are pipping and at a stand still. I had a temp drop to 87 before I found . Don't know how long it was down, could that slow the process down.
    Michele

It could slow down the process.. I just dont know how long.. Let me try to get some more help in here...

9. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I just gave a Broody 6 eggs. So hopefully in about 21 days I'll have some hatchlings. Glad to hear I am not the only one still trying to hatch before it gets colder.
    Mollie

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Coturnix eggs take 17 days to hatch give or take, if your temp went down a little, it will delay hatching by a day or so. Coturnix eggs are speckled.

Valley quail have speckled eggs as well so they have 23 days incubation. Bobwhites have white shell and have 23 days incubation period. If you do have lower temps at any point, they will most likely hatch later. A little higher, or a little temp spike, they will hatch earlier or you can lose some. Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by