Just set 41 welsh harlequin eggs! Join me!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duck&chickencrazy, Jan 30, 2012.

1. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    I just set 41 of my Welsh Harlequin duck eggs! They should hatch on either the 28th or the 29th! Here is a pic of the eggs in my incubator! I plan on putting another 30 or so in my other incubator in the next few days! :)

[​IMG]
    One of my females that contributed to the 41 eggs lol
    [​IMG]
    And 2 of my 3 males that helped contribute as well lol [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So what will you be hatching out around the same time? How many eggs? Post pics of the parents and of the eggs!!! Cant wait to see all the pics!

2. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Oh man! That's a lot of messy little babies.

I just set some itty-bitty Serama eggs I bought because my Saxony girls are seriously slacking at 7 months old, and I set 2 from Miss Quackers just to see. A little stagger to the hatch. I can't wait to candle this weekend!

When the Saxony here and at a friend's house who has the rest of the order start laying, then I'll be hatching as many as I can get. His girls haven't started yet either.

3. duck&chickencrazy

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Good luck with hatching yours out!! Make sure you post pics when they do hatch out!

And as I was checking the temp on my thermometer I dropped it and the cord broke....so luckily the eggs were not in there long enough to warm up all the way...so i turned off the incubator...and tonight I am picking up a couple new ones to try this again lol!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  4. country_girl011

country_girl011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    i put 13 muscovy eggs in the bator thursday.
    and 8 pekin eggs in the bator yesterday .
    so i will be hatching a couple days after you.

5. duck&chickencrazy

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    How exciting! Keep updating!!

Finally got the incubator to the right temp. And one of my hens has decided to go broody and is now sitting on 10 eggs!

6. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    Just wondering what do you do with all those little ducklings?

7. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    My Welsh Harlequins are due to hatch in the next 3 days! [​IMG] I can hardly wait!

8. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Man, so far my incubation has been problematic! It started perfect, but now the thing wants to run a little warm. I keep turning it down a notch but I worry the air in the house will change and I'll come down to it too chilled. I think husband needs to get me an incubator upgrade for our Anniversary in March.

Tossed the eggs from Quackers, no action on them. I bet they froze... not sure when she lays but it must be crazy early. I've never managed to get out there before her egg, even when it's dark still. Tossed 3 Serama, but 7 are going strong! They were doing flip-flops for me last night during candling.

Couple days ago either me or the cat wiggled the cord out of the wall and the incubator got down to 67 degrees. They lived through it and the cord is taped to the wall now to prevent that from happening again.

Humidity has been out of whack so I'm only adding a little bit of water daily to keep it below 40%. It wants to hover at 55% if I fill the tray as directed. Not sure why this thing is giving me so much grief this time! The digital temp/humidity reader is accurate and has a fresh battery.

I'm hoping someone goes broody for me this year AFTER I've hatched through my waiting list. It would figure that they go broody and give me a limited supply of hatchlings. I'm about to go squeeze those Saxony girls until an egg pops out, they're coming up on 8 months of age at the end of this month and nothing! Yesterday I sifted through bedding to be sure they weren't hiding them from me. I called my buddy who has the other 2 pair and his haven't started either.

9. duck&chickencrazy

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Im planning on keeping a few and then selling the rest to local 4Hers and to anybody around locally that want them for pets. I have had quite a few people interested in some ducklings and they have requested that I hatch some out for them.

10. duck&chickencrazy

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Im sorry you're having so many issues...that was kinda how mine started out too...everything seemed to just go wrong :(

And it may just take a little longer for them to start laying...I have heard they are a slower growing breed...They should start laying soon tho!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by