1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

JUST SET EGGS UNDER MY BROODY HEN!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by littlecreekfarm, Jan 21, 2012.

1. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    Okay so the last hatch didn't go as planned. Nothing hatched. There were fully-developed chicks in the eggs. So I am going to try again with my broody hen. She is around 6-7 month old pure splash blue laced red wyandotte hen. I set 8 Pure blue laced red wyandotte eggs under her this afternoon. They are due to hatch February 11th. Do i have any hatch buddies?!

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Hope you have a great hatch!!

3. littlecreekfarm

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    Thank you!!! I hope they will hatch! Momma moved the nest so i moved the eggs with her.....thankfully another hen kept them warm. I've done a broody hen hatch before. But that was with turkey eggs.

4. SarniaTricia

SarniaTricia Chillin' With My Peeps

So, one of my girls 8months won't leave the box. I figure I got a broody.
    I take the initiative and just stop by a house that free ranges their flock and ask to buy a couple of fertilized eggs.
    I met great people and have made new friends.

The only eggs they have right now were bantie Old English Game. They were picked that morning, but were in the fridge for a bit.

I set 2 eggs under my broody girl.
    Not sure if my girl is being very vigilant on the mama thing, but willing to give it a try.
    My step daughter marked Feb11th on the calander....

This is my first time with chicks/broodies.
    I would love to be a hatch buddy!

5. littlecreekfarm

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    That's Awesome!!!! It is great to have a hatch buddy!!! Keep me updated! I plan on candling the 14th or 18th day!

6. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Good luck Erin. Hope you get some chickies.

7. melodym78

melodym78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    Indiana
    I got bantam americana eggs under my bantam cochin hen Reba and under a buff orp hen due to hatch on the 11th as well! so we will have to keep each other up dated...let me know when you candle. good luck!

8. littlecreekfarm

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    Oh my gosh my dog got into our coop and ate basically all the 12-13 eggs i set [​IMG] and today would've been the 7 day mark [​IMG]
    I now only have 4 eggs left!!! and unfortunatly it will be a staggered hatch! But i can stand tossing the eggs just because of a staggered hatch.

9. SarniaTricia

Erin
    My DH said "so much for the dog" when I told him about my hatch buddie's issues......
    Just do what you can; 4 new chicks will still be a welcome addition to your flock and momma would miss them. [​IMG]
    Don't give up yet.
    Your Canadian hatch buddy.
    Tricia

10. SarniaTricia

Well Erin, What`s the storey?
    I candled at 7 days and I got two little growers.
    9 more days to go.
    I am getting excited, but a bit aprehensive too.

The Mama is in the nest box and it has a bit of a raised entrance edge.
    [​IMG]
    the house if raised and I know the other hens are laying with mama sometimes.
    do I set up the food and water in the house? or in the nest box?
    should i worry about the llittle ones falling when they try and leave the house on the ramp?

Any advice would be great. My first babies [​IMG]
    thanks Tricia

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by