just set eggs!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mibotsu, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    alrighty, i just set some eggs, but i can't remember, which way they go, fat side up or down?

pics to follow

2. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:[​IMG]

pointed end down [​IMG]

3. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    ok, so fat side up, thanks, better go flip them over :eek:

4. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    how many ya set M?

all from your own birds right? coming along fast...crazy aint it.

5. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:i set 13 eggs, i've had the incubator on for the past week, been steady ranging between 97 and 102, it never stays high or low for long, so i'm taking the average of 99/100 and going with it.

yes they are from my birds, i've got 4 females but only 2 are laying, one of the others lays sometimes but its always a gray shell, very thin, and the 4th one...i dunno whats up with her

i'm hoping to have probably around 10 full time, 8f/2m that way i have a steady supply of eggs for eating/pickling

might buy some texas A&M if i start eating them. not sure if i want quail for pets/food/eggs

6. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    We are driving to Myrtle Beach in August for a week with the Family.

You want some of my whites? they aint the nuts but I will send ya some of my bigger eggs for freeskidoodle to doublecheck that bator and my lil white roo.

I got some smaller styrofoam coolers from shipping SW Fish, I think will work well for shipping between here and SC.

Holler, we appreciate another pic posting person on here.

7. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I set some 160 Bobwhite eggs(were shipped) Friday...and since I will have room in the bator(s) I ordered 350 A & M eggs today..They should be here Wed or Thurs. Good luck with your..I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us..LOL
    If I get good hatch rates I will be over run with quail.

ETA: Pic of one of the eggs that was cracked, so I opened it up to see if there was a 'bulls-eye' (confirming fertility). so I guess the rest is up to me and I hope the PO wasn't to rough with the eggs.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  8. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:i set 13 eggs, i've had the incubator on for the past week, been steady ranging between 97 and 102, it never stays high or low for long, so i'm taking the average of 99/100 and going with it.

yes they are from my birds, i've got 4 females but only 2 are laying, one of the others lays sometimes but its always a gray shell, very thin, and the 4th one...i dunno whats up with her

i'm hoping to have probably around 10 full time, 8f/2m that way i have a steady supply of eggs for eating/pickling

might buy some texas A&M if i start eating them. not sure if i want quail for pets/food/eggs

If all you want out of your coturnix is eating eggs, then you can't go wrong with little browns! I know there is a lot of discussion about big/different color/etc. birds on the forum, but for an egg only model, the little browns are champs. I have actually crunched the numbers, because that's why I even started raising coturnix. I was looking for a home grown alternative to both grocery store eggs, and raising chickens. The little browns fit the bill. They are tasty birds too, thought smaller than jumbos. It takes more to fill a frying pan, but there is always time to fret with the jumbos later. [​IMG]

Good luck on the hatch my friend! Please let us know how it turns out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by