Just set my eggs... UPDATE: They're hatching!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by classicsredone, Jun 24, 2011.

1. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    I just set 41 silkie and showgirl eggs from a couple different breeders. I should (God willing) get a nice mix of colors and a few showgirls. Anyone else set to hatch around the same time?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  2. feather2

feather2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2008
    north haven, ct
    i want to join, but mine are ducks - due 7/19. 3 in incubator, 3 under a broody hen (who has been broody since april).

3. classicsredone

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Duckies are more than welcome. In fact, if I had the room, I'd have a huge flock of them myself. [​IMG]

4. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    i'll be incubating some muscovy eggs in the next few days! this will be my first time, i'm extremely nervous [​IMG] but excited at the same time [​IMG]

5. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Can I join? Just put 18 banty eggs in the incubator.I also have a broody on 7 that started 2 days ago.

6. classicsredone

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Everyone is welcome! This is my first time with chicken eggs, too. I've done turtle eggs, but they ended up infertile. If my sister can hatch in a classroom every year with no real knowledge about chickens, shoot, we can do this. ツ I bought 22 eggs and was shipped 43! Two were dented, so that leaves me with 41. Our egg turner is completely full, at least until we candle to toss any quitters.

7. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    I just set 16 polish eggs and 18 bantam cochin eggs this morning. [​IMG] Good luck to everyone! [​IMG]

8. florasbell

florasbell Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    germany
    hi il join im currently on day 3 with 10 runner ducks and 16 riesien barahma/ leghorn mix

iv been very impatient again lol and candled on the end of day one and could already see developement in all the runners as they have a light shell but havent been able to see in to the chickens yet

good luck everyone [​IMG]

9. classicsredone

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    How is the incubation going for you guys? I've been able to keep temps and humidity pretty stable. We took the top off for five minutes earlier today to install a fan that came a day late. I covered the eggs with a thick bath towel and didn't loose much heat. I also got an oral syringe from the drugstore and some aquarium tubing to make it easier to add water with the turner. I snaked the tubing down through the vent hole and into the reservoir. (We have a Little Giant.) I cut the tubing at a good length and attached the syringe. Now I can pour water through the syringe and tubing without opening the incubator. It works pretty well.

I can't wait to be able to candle the eggs. We are going to start kindergarten home-school this fall with our daughter, and she's made a notebook to "help" track the hatch. So far it is a couple pictures of candled eggs that I showed her, some writing that is legible, and some gibberish. She is so excited...but I think I have her beat. [​IMG]

10. nobodyherebutuschickens

nobodyherebutuschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2010
    Erie, Colorado
    I've got six questionably fertile eggs going under my broody hen tonight. Sooo excited! It's a first time for both of us!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by