Just set my first batch of Blue/Black /Splash Orpingtons

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joeyg4583, May 11, 2010.

1. joeyg4583

joeyg4583 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Brighton
    I'm a nervous wreck. I rented a LG 9200 with fan kit from our local extension office. I am incubating in our basement to avoid drafts and temperature swings and using the dry incubation method. I have been wanting these eggs for a year! Wish me luck cause i'll need it lol.

I have 3 thermometers and 2 hygrometers in there PS sorry for the quick camera phone pics
    [​IMG]

I set 28 of them, Thanks taterschickens for the great packing! Not one was broken [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Wishing you oodles of pips, zips that give you fluffy chicks!

I love my orps - hatched some blacks a couple weeks ago [​IMG]

Looking forward to pictures in the next 3 weeks [​IMG]

3. joeyg4583

joeyg4583 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Brighton
    How long does it typically take the incubator to return to the correct temperature after setting the eggs? After about 8 hours it was still only 97.3 so I adjusted it. Did I act too soon? Sorry for all the hand holding I need but i'm clueless [​IMG], even after reading and reading.

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

When I fill my bator, it can take up to 48 hours for the temp to stablize - usually less, but those eggs need to absorb the heat. Do not panic or worry - I have not had it delay my hatching.

If you have adjusted, just be sure to keep an eye on the temp in the day - when the room around the bator will naturally be a tad warmer than night.

Do NOT be sorry for asking - these babes are precious. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by