Just set my first eggs ever! I MUST be crazy!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rilly10, Jun 16, 2010.

1. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Hi everyone!

So I just set 7 mottled bantam cochin eggs in my brand new incubator. Not only is the incubator new, and is it my first try hatching eggs, but they were shipped! I bought 6, was shipped 8 and one was broken (which actually workedout because my Brinsea Mini Advance w. turner can only fit 7)!

I AM SOOOOO NERVOUS!!!!

So how did everyone else get through their first hatch? I hope I at least get 2 live chicks out of the deal ( and if I do with my luch they will be roos!!!!)!

Did anyone else set eggs today?

Thanks!

2. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    I was in your shoes 21 days ago. Plus, I am not really allowed to have chickens in my town! I bought a dozen eggs and ended up with 19. So far, one is hatched and a bunch more are thinking about it. This is a great forum for all of your questions. Is your incubator working out so far? Good luck.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I just bought that exact same incubator. DerbyChook and I are going to be hatching buddies later this month. So I'm subscribing to this topic thread. PLEASE keep us updated as to how it goes!!!

Right now, the incubator is sitting where it will be when I turn it on, and I've read the instruction sheets about four times. Plus, I checked an egg to confirm fertility (gave the egg to the cat) and was so thrilled I could actually see the bulls-eye! Gonna check a couple more in the next few days, from other pullets.

Good luck! I wanna know EVERYTHING! (I'm really hoping that unit is a "plug and play" easy-peasy thing to use.)

4. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    you brought a GREAT incub - Brinsea Mini Advance w. turner I purchased one back in feb and hatched 3 times already -

1 hatch - 6 or 6
    2 hatch - 6 of 6
    3rd hatch - 3 of 5
    4th hatch incubating now - 4 of 6 or doing well.....

best of luck....

5. Turner

Turner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Northeast OH
    I have the same incubator - please remember to plug into a surge protector. My first hatch was fine but this one
    (of course purchased more expensive eggs) I have had problems with temp spikes and I talked with Brinsea and the tech said to make sure that you bator is plugged into a surge protector. Duh.....I didn't think about it when it was not storm season...but also wish that the instructions mentioned to do that too! Just an FYI! Good Luck

My top will be getting shipped back for repairs - I am so sad!

6. rilly10

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Thanks so much for all of your help! So far so good (knock on wood) but I am only on the first day! [​IMG] One thing that I was suprised about (which thanks to another BYC member) I noticed was how fast the h20 resivoir is used up. If I try to follow the instructions and keep one side of the chamber full, I will need to top it off daily.

On another note...my hubby already thinks I'm crazy because he keeps catching me staring at the eggs that do nothing! AND IT'S ONLY DAY 1!!! LOL! Wait till they get close to hatching and he may kill me!

7. rilly10

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    So I just candled last night and discarded 3 eggs with no development. The remaining 4 have embryos with lots of veins. How are everyone elses doing? I can't wait until they hatch!

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'm still dithering as to which eggs I should try to hatch: some of my flock's eggs, buy some from someone on BYC with eggs of the breed(s) I'd like to get, or make a dash to Trader Joe's and try some fertile eggs which wouldn't hurt my feelings if my first attempt at hatching was a bust.....

If some of my own didn't hatch, I'd be so sad. If some I bought didn't hatch, I'd be annoyed. If Trader Joe's fertile eggs didn't hatch, I wouldn't have anyone or anything to blame.

[​IMG]

9. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Quote:I would hatch your eggs if you're going to spend the time give yourself the best odds [​IMG]

10. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Do you know what you've gotten yourself into??? [​IMG]

ADDICTION.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by