1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just shoot me.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ninjapoodles, Aug 4, 2008.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    [​IMG] I can't believe I'm asking this, but... where is it recommended to start learning about exhibiting poultry? :eek:

My husband was right. I can't own an animal without wanting to show it. It's a sickness! [​IMG]

2. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Haha, a sickness [​IMG] I do some exhibition but it really dpends, do you want to just show or are you looking at doing something more like showmanship?

3. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:Just going by my experience in showing dogs and horses, I think I am NOT into "showmanship." [​IMG] (If it's the same as what I'm thinking of, then the regular breeding classes would be judging the birds, and showmanship classes would be more about judging the handler?)

4. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Well if you just want to do just breed classes, there really easy and fun! You first off will need birds that are worth taking to shows, and with most breeds just wipe the legs down till they are clean and wipe down the bird, then in the cage it goes for judging. What breed or breeds are you interested in showing? Some require more work.

5. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Try searching for a breed club website of w/e breed you're interested in showing and they should have the breed standard on it, and you can see if your birds fir the criteria.

6. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Oh, I'd have to acquire show-quality birds, first. I only have utility-quality in breeds that are APA recognized. How do you learn the rules, show-schedules, judging criteria, etc.? I'm assuming start by joining the APA? I'm going to go to the judging at the State Fair in October just to observe and take pictures. It would probably be at least a year or two before I ventured out into the shows as an exhibitor.

Is there a breed standard available anywhere online for Orpingtons, for example? I know I can buy a copy of the SoP, but I don't need to spend that money right now, and was just curious.

Is it ever possible to "breed up" from hatchery birds to get to something that is exhibition quality? I mean, I know it's a lot easier just to start with good stock in the first place, but I was wondering if anyone ever did that.

Thanks for indulging my n00b questions! [​IMG]

7. Kanchii

If you want standard sized birds, you probably cannot achieve them from breeding up from hatcheries, unless your willing to do a lot of work and culling, and it'd probably take many years. Hatcheries birds are not nearly as big as they are supposed to be. For instance, I thought my standard cochin from mcmurray was large, and then I took her to stockton and she as about half the size of the actual show bred beauties [​IMG]

To learn more about orpingtons and possibly find someone who will sell you some show quality stock, join the orpington yahoo group: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/OrpingtonGroup/
    That group has the SoP under files, you have to join first to read it.

And here's the united orpington club: http://www.geocities.com/srp18407/UOC.html

There
    are some orpington breeders listed on the feathersite links section here: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Orps/BRKOrps.html

8. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:HA! Yeah, that's what I'd want to avoid, so I plan on attending a lot of shows before getting my feet wet! Thanks for the tips! [​IMG]

9. Kanchii

Quote:HA! Yeah, that's what I'd want to avoid, so I plan on attending a lot of shows before getting my feet wet! Thanks for the tips! [​IMG]

And the more shows you go to, the more chances of picking up great birds in the sales area! Though if possible, make friends with people who know their stuff so you can ask them what they think about birds. Lots of people sell their cull birds at shows

10. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    My tentative plan for the next year or so is to enjoy all my "starter" birds, gather and share the eggs, learn my way around the birds better, and then next spring to start gradually replacing my hatchery birds with breeders' birds.

Chickens have the potential for being easier than other show animals just by virtue of being able to eat your mistakes. :eek:

Are there local poultry clubs, like at the state or regional levels, like there are with dogs and horses? If so, how do you find them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by